New Route Maps

Electric motive power and operations in Southern Africa
Jerome West

New Route Maps

Post by Jerome West »

I have just uploaded new route maps on the Metrorail website - http://www.metrorail.co.za/Routes2.html
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Re: New Route Maps

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Hi Jerome!

I'm not sure if you are aware, but your Gauteng map includes the line down to Alberton.
Unless you know something else, the Alberton line ceased to exist about three years back, due to the continual theft of equipment and destruction caused by the local squatter camp outside Alberton Station.

I think you should revised your map, to exclude Alberton . . .
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Nice maps. A definate step in the right direction. Did you create them, Jerome?
I note that Metrorail must be a bit embarassed about the Soweto and Tshwane Business Expresses... They get an almost invisble thin purple/yellow line instead of the easy-to-see, thicker lines (perhaps a little too-thick) used for the other routes!
Also I see that none of the Gauteng lines have been given names, not even route numbers, unlike their named Durban and Cape equivalents. The Gauteng lines are all simply known as "Metrorail line".
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Very nice Jerome...........
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

You even have Century City station on the map . I am impressed.
Marc Russell

Post by Marc Russell »

Hi Jerome.
The maps look fantastic. However a few errors must be pointed out, as mentioned earlier the Alberton branch is closed. But according to Metrorail timetables there is a line from Germiston-New Canada via Booysens, which takes in most of the Alberton branch. There are other stations around Gauteng that are no longer in use eg Mitchell St in Pretoria. Also the use of the word 'Gautrain' to describe the region. There is a map on Wikipedia that is exact as per current MetroRail timetable. But again I love the maps!!

Return to “South Africa - Electric Motive Power”