Cullinan line clean-up January 2017

Post pictures of FOTR trips and events - screenshots or photographs - 800x600 pixels. Maximum size 130k. They will eventually be pruned, so make sure you have copies on your hard drive if you want to keep them.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Cullinan line clean-up January 2017

Post by John Ashworth »

Nathan wrote:Phillip van Zyl, Robert Dadford and I went with the trolley to Cullinan. I weed-eatered the triangle before the spring for the starter rope broke, so that was that. We patrolled the line and cut a number of trees and shrubs, with the help of Rayton resident, Hans Sturgeon on occasions. A hot sweaty, scratchy thorny day, but accomplished a lot of train-scratcher removals! Fastened a number of loose fishplate bolts as well. Crossings did not take long to clear, thanks to the team from the previous week.

However, the track is very overgrown from the main tar road up to the summit towards Cullinan, but we have secured two casual workers with their own weedeaters, who will join Philip this Monday and with Hans Sturgeon's team, will tackle the weeds. Hans works with his crew at the Cullinan end in the cutting and Phillip will work from the main tar road end with the weedeater crew. We will supply petrol and trimmer line.

One daunting task, but, as I type, will hopefully be completed and the weedspraying will begin on the Wednesday, courtesy Les Labuschagne.

The line to Rayton first level crossing from Cullinan side was good with minor weeds but, again, from the main tar road upwards near the summit, was bad.

Cheers,
stiff and sore,
Nathan
Photos by Nathan Berelowitz, January 2017
Attachments
CULLINAN CLEANUP JAN 2017 (11)a.JPG
CULLINAN CLEANUP JAN 2017 (11)a.JPG (828.43 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
CULLINAN CLEANUP JAN 2017 (13)a.JPG
CULLINAN CLEANUP JAN 2017 (13)a.JPG (920.43 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Cullinan line clean-up January 2017

Post by John Ashworth »

On 1st February, Nathan wrote:By the way, the weedspraying of Cullinan branch is taking place today...

Return to “FOTR Trips and Events”