SAR Locomotive Boiler Regulations

Steam motive power and operations in Southern Africa
Bruce Rankin

SAR Locomotive Boiler Regulations

Post by Bruce Rankin »

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and have a question to ask of people on this list regarding South African Railway past and existing regulations regarding the inspection and operation of locomotive boilers for some research that I am doing on this matter on a world wide basis.

Is there somewhere that I can obtain a copy of the regulations pertaining to locomotive boiler inspection? I notice on some of the forums here that there is mention of a "Three year inspection" along with other usual inspections. Can someone enlighten me on what the three year inspection involves?

Is there a specific requirement (time or mileage based) for internal inspections on boilers? Is there a specific requirement to lift narrow firebox boilers from the frames every few years for inspection?

I have many questions, but need to know if there is someone on this Forum who I can discuss this technical matter with.

I am trying to find this information in an effort to be able to compare the SAR regulations with other regulations that I am familiar with in other countries. To date, I have no idea of the boiler inspection regime or regulation in South Africa.

As a bit of background, I live in Newcastle, Australia, and have worked in the boiler industry for more than 35 years. I started off as an apprentice boilermaker and worked my way through the industry to become a licensed boiler inspector, gaining experience on locomotive boilers in Australia at the end of regular steam and then into the preservation era here. I also found the time to go to become qualified as a Mechanical Engineer, giving me the theory behind the practical knowledge which I learned the hard way.

I am hoping that there are some on this Forum who can assist me with my line of inquiry into the SAR loco boiler regulation and look forward to some discussion on this matter.

Kind regards,
Bruce Rankin
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: SAR Locomotive Boiler Regulations

Post by John Ashworth »

Welcome to the forum, Bruce, and I'm sure there'll be someone here who can answer your questions.
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi Bruce,

I can find out what the SAR inspections process was, now the clubs have the boilers inspected by private boiler inspectors. The requirement for the inspections is every three years, the inspection consists of three parts:

* Visual inspection of boiler - This normally consists of removal of smokebox appliances, dome to enable inspector to have access to examine the boiler. Of course the though washout is required before hand to ensure that the boiler is clean.

* Hydraulic test - Then a hydraulic test is performed to test for leaks.

* Steam test - Inspector check boiler in steam and witnesses the setting and sealing of safety valves.

We do not have to lift boilers for our locomotives as the inspector can examine them in situ.

Cheers

Aidan
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

External lagging is removed for external inspection and wall thickness ND tests done using ultrasound, etc.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Occupational Health and Safety Act pressure Vessel Regulations attached. Hope this is the current version.
pressure_equipment_regulations.pdf
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Bruce Rankin

Post by Bruce Rankin »

Gents,
Many thanks for your responses so far.

Aidan,
You clarified that the requirement is for inspection once every three years. I am amazed at what I see in the Pressure Equipment Regulations which Steve attached (thanks Steve) to his second message on this subject in Clause 11.(1)(c) and 11.(1)(d) with some of the periods mentioned – especially when one thinks of the riveted boilers in use on locomotives.

Aidan,
You also mentioned that you do not lift the boilers – I am assuming you are referring to narrow firebox boilers which go between the frames here? If this is the situation, are the locomotive frames solid plate frames, or are they the more open type of bar frame?

All,
Does anyone in this Forum have access to the old SAR Boiler Regulations which I may be able to obtain a copy of? Did this document exist? I would be very surprised if there was not some official document that outlined inspection periods, different inspection types (internal and external), as well as items specifically inspected.

Is there a boiler inspector that anyone on this list is associated with who might have experience with the SAR locomotive boiler regulations and inspection regime which was in place when steam locomotives were in regular service in South Africa who might be interested in communicating with me?

I look forward to further discussion on this matter.

Kind regards,
Bruce Rankin
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi Bruce,

At Reefsteamers we don't have any narrow firebox locomotives with fireboxs between the frames. The only locomotive we have that has plate frames is the 12AR and the firebox sits on a bridle casting so is not between the frames.

The SAR boiler regulations were defined in code of practice No. 7. I think we have a copy at Reefsteamers but it is probably around a 1000 pages so not that easy to scan. This code is based on the ASME standards.

Is this interest just for information or do you have a prefessional interest? If you have a professional interest I can give you the contact details of our boiler inspector who can supply more information but he might charge?

Cheers

Aidan
Aidan McCarthy

Bruce Rankin

Post by Bruce Rankin »

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for your comment about the SAR boiler regulations which were defined in code of practice No. 7.

My interest is to be able to compare the various boiler standards from different countries in the world to see what differences there were between them. So far I have been able to obtain information from countries including Australia, India, USA, Germany, UK and some others. I am finding it interesting to see the differences in approach to the same problems.

My aim is to eventually put this part time study into book form which would be of use to people working with steam locomotives around the world.

I understand your problem with a document that extends to around a 1000 pages. If a donation to Reefsteamers may create some incentive towards having the scanning done, I would be willing to discuss that with you offline.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers,
Bruce
Brendon Anderson

Post by Brendon Anderson »

The bridle casting on the plate framed loco's (Classes 3, 12, 14 etc) is an extension of the frame, so in that respect the fireboxes are in between the frames. They are not narrow fireboxes fitted to the likes of the 7th and 8th classes.

If any repair was necessary to say the foundation ring or firebox stays behind the bridle casting, then the only option would be to lift the boiler. This was the case when the boiler of GMAM 4074 was overhauled at Masons Mill. It is not a requirement to lift the boiler from the frames for an inspection, but as the boilers get older, boiler lifting will probably have to happen more frequently to be able to effect the overhaul.
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi Bruce,

Reefsteamers only copy of code 7 is in Afrikaans.
Aidan McCarthy

John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Bruce, Nathan says he can get hold of an English copy for you but would appreciate a small donation to FOTR for it. Let me know, on or off the forum.
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi John,

If you scan it I would also like a copy for a small donation of course.
Aidan McCarthy

Return to “South Africa - Steam Motive Power”