Sun City Express?

For any research questions you may have about railway equipment, railway people, railway history etc
Barend Botha

Sun City Express?

Post by Barend Botha »

I saw a picture of a post card or stamp a while back on eBay that had a colour drawing on it with a EMD diesel locomotive in a red and yellow livery. The words read something like "The Sun City Express. Getting to Sun City is now even more fun!". And the Sun City logo was also printed on the drawing.

Does anybody have information regarding this train service, times it ran, what year/s, picture etc?
Dylan Knott

Re: Sun City Express?

Post by Dylan Knott »

Yes, it ran in the early 90's I think. Class 37 diesel (37-044) and a dedicated set of coaches. Some of the coaches are at Culemborg and others were converted into current Premiere class stock.
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

I have the first day cover issued for this train and I will find it and look inside to see if there is any timings etc. It went to a small halt with platform near to Sun City where everyone was off loaded and bussed to the centre. The diesels were based at Capital Park.
Barend Botha

Post by Barend Botha »

Thanks for the info guys. I have managed to locate the picture I refer to in the closed listings.
My wording was not totally correct but close... Anybody got real photos?
Attachments
Sun City Express
Sun City Express
sun city express.JPG (16.41 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Chris Janisch

Post by Chris Janisch »

I did get a shot of this train between Irene and Verwoerdburg(as it was known then) whilst waiting for a 15F on a Cullinan special from Joburg- 1988 I think. It is a slide so when I can find it I will get it scanned.
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

Gee, remember when postage was 16c! what happened to the monorail they had at Sun City? is it still there?
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops

Return to “Railway Research”