Oldest running steam loco in South Africa

For any research questions you may have about railway equipment, railway people, railway history etc
Derek Walker

Oldest running steam loco in South Africa

Post by Derek Walker »

I am curious, what is the oldest running steam loco in South Africa? and where is she? I know that SANRASM would have at least 2 contenders, but I doubt if they are running. (Kitson and the 6 class)
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Dylan Knott

Re: Oldest running steam loco in South Africa

Post by Dylan Knott »

7A 1009 at George? Built 1896.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Yes, I would have suggested SANRASM's 6 class. She was definitely running around 5 years ago, as I fired her then, but I don't know now. Rovos Rail also has a 6 class. She's out of boiler certificate at the moment, but she did steam a year or two ago.

FOTR has an 8 class which is definitely not in working order but will be one day...
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

Is it 1007 or 1009. Is 7A 1007 still running? Last year when we visited the museum she looked rather "plinthed" to me.
Attachments
7A 1007.jpg
grahamlizamore

Post by grahamlizamore »

Derek Walker wrote:I am curious, what is the oldest running steam loco in South Africa? and where is she? I know that SANRASM would have at least 2 contenders, but I doubt if they are running. (Kitson and the 6 class)
I have a picture of a pretty old locomotive which was in running order in Water Boven ten years ago. I can't seem to work out how to place pics and on which site. Perhaps some-one can direct me. Thanks Graham
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Graham, click on Browse (below the main text box) to attach your photo. If you're only attaching one, then click Submit. If you're attaching more than one click Add the file after each one until you get to the last one, then click Submit. Pictures should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K, please.

Note that you can't post photos to all sub-fora. Generally you can only post photos to photo galleries, but certain sub-fora (such as Locker Room and Railway Research) do allow photos.

Good luck!
Last edited by John Ashworth on 04 Feb 2010, 12:27, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: edited to correct posting instructions
carldasnevesvieira

Post by carldasnevesvieira »

Hi Graham and all

The loco you are talking about would be the NZASM 46 tonner which was and still is there.

Regards
Carlos
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi All,

Best candidate would be Sandstone Heritage trust's Lawley built in 1895. This locomotive actually runs on a fairly regular basis, most of the others have not turned a wheel for several years.

Cheers

Aidan
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Brendon Anderson

Post by Brendon Anderson »

USR Dubs "A" (NGR #88) of 1892 is up there too on the list of oldest loco's. Not running at the moment but work is forging ahead!

3BR 1486 is of 1912 vintage. Could be the oldest 3'6" gauge loco still in operaton?

Return to “Railway Research”