Harbour Board Building - Port Elizabeth

For discussions on stations, signals, and infrastructure in Southern Africa. Any photos should be posted in the "South Africa - Photo Gallery" Forum below.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Harbour Board Building - Port Elizabeth

Post by Steve Appleton »

This probably only just fits into this topic because, strictly speaking, this is not about SA railways as such, but because SA's harbours were and still are an integral part of the nation's railway infrastructure and they are owned by SAR&H's modern equivalent, Portnet, a Transnet subsidiary, I have put this here.

This post relates to the magnificent old Harbour Board building in Port Elizabeth. The linked article posts pictures of the exterior and interior of this stunning building and sadly relates that it, like so many other historic properties, is unoccupied.

I cannot understand why nobody seems to want to lease and occupy such a stunning piece of architecture. Perhaps this says more about Transnet Property's policies than the building's location. One hopes that vandals do not gain entry to this gem and cause its destruction. This is a grand building that once made a grand statement about its original occupants and that would still make such a grand statement about any new occupants (vandals excepted).

See: http://www.heritageportal.co.za/article ... -elizabeth for the story and pics.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Philip Martin

Re: Harbour Board Building - Port Elizabeth

Post by Philip Martin »

I have put the above post on the Railroad.net, Worldwide Railfan forum. I hope that Mr.Appleton doesn't object,
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Thank you. Not a problem, Philip.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Philip Martin

Post by Philip Martin »

Steve Appleton wrote:Thank you. Not a problem, Philip.
Thank you, Steve. That's quite a building.

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals and Infrastructure”