The Steel Kyalami

For discussions on stations, signals, and infrastructure in Southern Africa. Any photos should be posted in the "South Africa - Photo Gallery" Forum below.
Hermann Kuhne

The Steel Kyalami

Post by Hermann Kuhne »

I can't believe the shortage of information on the famous Kimberley to De Aar line, especially in the steam era. Except for a few very nice videos by Trevor Staats and a few others on You Tube almost nothing exist as far as I could find on the net. Very difficult to find photos of stations and track layouts. Google Earth does not help much as the resolution on most of the line is of a very poor quality. I suppose that even a visit to this line won't be of much help as too many changes occurred since the steam era.
My dream is to one day try and recreate this route in DTG's Railworks. Already two routes in Railworks and they are welcomed by overseas enthusiasts. Interestingly most overseas reaction is one of sheer awe at what was created back then. Speeds on what to them is a narrow gauge line (Cape Gauge).
At that time I suppose "cab views" were non-existent and they give a very good picture of the line as it was.

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals and Infrastructure”