Signal and tumbler for sidings

For discussions on stations, signals, and infrastructure in Southern Africa. Any photos should be posted in the "South Africa - Photo Gallery" Forum below.
Hermann Kuhne

Signal and tumbler for sidings

Post by Hermann Kuhne »

I saw this interesting signal on Les Pivnic and Charlie Lewis' website Soul of a Railway. It is on the line from PE to Rosmead and can be seen at some sidings. Attached is a pdf with a picture of the siding.
I would like some info on this signal. The name if possible and if at all possible a better photo/picture of the signal.
We are currently working on the Klipplaat to Rosmead line for Railworks 2017 and would like recreate this signal as a working model in 3DS Max and Photoshop.

Hermann Kühne
Vaderbijlpark
Attachments
Capture.pdf
(149.89 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Signal and tumbler for sidings

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Herman, for the query.

It looks to me like a points indicator at a passing loop, telling the driver of an approaching train which way the points are set. However, although I am not an expert, I would expect to see such a signal at a passing loop rather thana siding.
steve-jeffs

Re: Signal and tumbler for sidings

Post by steve-jeffs »

G'day Herman,
Here in NSW Australia we would refer to that type of signal as a glass enclosed banner.
Used for subsidiary running or shunting indications.
But, as your example is not associated with a main running signal, unless out of view, then possibly as John suggests, being used as a point indicator.
Steve.

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals and Infrastructure”