Closed Branchlines

For discussions on stations, signals, and infrastructure in Southern Africa. Any photos should be posted in the "South Africa - Photo Gallery" Forum below.
Dylan Knott

Closed Branchlines

Post by Dylan Knott »

Can someone please post a list of the closed branchlines?
GrantSlater

Re: Closed Branchlines

Post by GrantSlater »

I've been working on this list: Wikipedia List of abandoned railway lines in South Africa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ab ... uth_Africa

I'm sure there are mistakes. Feel free to improve.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Grant, I believe this is your first post to the forum - welcome! I hope some of our members will be able to assist with this interesting list.
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Great list, Grant. A few things that I spotted: Comments in capitals (not screaming ;) )
Monument - Sea Point 1929 The Milnerton line -> THIS IS NOT THE MILNERTON LINE, BUT A SUBURBAN LINE FROM BOTTOM OF ADDERLEY STREET TO SEAPOINT, IT WAS ONE OF THE FIRST COMMUTER LINES IN SA TO BE ELECTRIFIED, UTILISING 1M SETS AT 1500V DC

Opwekker - Milnerton-Tygerberg 1957 Milnerton Railway, last race train 1954 PLAQUE AT GOODWOOD STATION READS: IN 1904 A SIDING WAS BUILT FROM GOODWOOD STATION TO A HORSE RACECOURSE CLOSEBY. THIS SIDING WAS REMIVED IN 1950.

Port Shepstone - Harding 1986 THIS LINE WAS CLOSED BY SAR CIRCA 1986, BUT OPERATIONS WERE TAKEN OVER BY ACR, LAST BANANA EXPRESS OPERATIONS ONLY STOPPED EARLY 2006

PM me for and I will send you some Transnet documents on the branchlines.
Luca Lategan...
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Added Cor Delfos to the Mooiplaas dolomite plant. A short branch line that FOTR used a few times for photoshoots. Think it was 2004, but maybe someone can confirm.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals and Infrastructure”