Signal cabins

For discussions on stations, signals, and infrastructure in Southern Africa. Any photos should be posted in the "South Africa - Photo Gallery" Forum below.
Dylan Knott

Signal cabins

Post by Dylan Knott »

How many signal cabins are still in existence?

Do any still contain the equipment such as the lever frame, Van Schoor machine etc?
How many are preserved?

Dylan
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Re: Signal cabins

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Do we have any preserved ones at all?

Are any still in operation?
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Matjiesfontein preserved.
The following cabins (seperate from station building) still operational:

Brackenfall - colour lights.
Klapmuts - colour lights.
Firgrove, Somerset West (mothballed), Van der Stel, Dal Josafat (electric frame), Hugonoete, Paarl, Kraaifontein.

Dylan
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

There's still a non-operational signal cabin on the triangle at Capital Park. Anyone know what it has inside it? I seem to remember several others around the Pretoria complex.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

I see a couple non-operational every day, but I do not know their names - on the way to work I come in alongside the Soweto line from Roodepoort to Fordsburg. They are occupied by squatters, so they must be gutted. Areas are a bit dodgy, so I am not looking!
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Dylan - snapped these on the way into work this morning.

http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... =146&t=866
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Stellenbosch also has a mechanicaly operated system with a Van-Schoor system and everything. A photo is attached with an inside view of the cabin
Luca Lategan...
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Luca, thanks.

Lynedoch, Vlottenberg, Stellenbosch and Koelenhof all mechanical frames and semaphores. A quick glance at Stellenbosch seems to indicate sections of track in goods yard have been lifted. Despite this the large array of signals, starters and "skilpads" remain.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Intersting - but where is the picture?

You can post it here.......

http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?f=146
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Langlaagte has a 78 mini lever frame.

Endicott had a unique hydraulic semaphore frame. Anyone know if this station is still intact?
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Hi Dylan!

I'm replying to your above statement, which I quote;
Langlaagte has a 78 mini lever frame.

If I may correct you, Langlaagte signal cabin, the one that use to be housed in a pre-fab building opposite the old double storey signal cabin, was demolished and the Langlaagte signalling area was incorporated into the new George Gogh CTC office back in the late 90's.

George Gogh CTC begins in the east, just west of Cleveland Station which today still uses a 48 long-lever frame (semi mechanical & electrically interlocked), and the CTC teritory continues right through Johannesburg and ends, just west of Wesbury station where Maraisburg CTC office takes over the control.

George Goch also controls three other small sections; ie;
1. from Benrose Station (Metro-line from Kazerne to George Gogh) to George Gogh Station;
2. from Langlaagte (southwards) to about halfway between Longdale and New Canada Stations, where New Canada CTC takes over the control of traffic, heading either into or through Soweto to Midway, and finally;
3. Controls in tandum with Crown Signal Cabin the Paalrshoop single-line section, using "Lock & Block" method of train control, and where George Gogh CTC only controls just the few 100 meters of this avoiding line to and from Industria junction, or in other words, end of the Langlaagte Goods Yard. The rest is under Crown Signal Cabin, which includes the passing loops at Paalrshoop.

Regards
Gabor
SAR - Steam Active Recruit

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals and Infrastructure”