Class 35 GE diesels on north line

Photos of Southern African Diesel Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Chris Janisch

Class 35 GE diesels on north line

Post by Chris Janisch »

Last Friday afternoon, in between clients arriving, I heard a growling diesel noise which is not often heard in these parts. Saw 2 35s going past with a freight to the north, which is an unusual occurrence on this 7E-dominated line.
One wheelspin later and my bakkie was on the old Warmbaths road, and got stuck behind trucks as usual. Nevertheless, I caught up with the train near Petronella, just as it was about to descend into a heavy thunderstorm.
The locos were 35-400 series of GE build, all the 35s in Pretoria are 35-200s GM. There is quite a difference in their sound, the GE beat being a lot more interesting, if that is possible with diesels.
I suspect these locos were on a transfer freight, perhaps being labelled with those LOG logos they are for hire up north?
Shots were grabbed from the station footbridge.
Attachments
october2010 341Z.jpg
october2010 341Z.jpg (144.68 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
october2010 344Z.jpg
october2010 344Z.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Stefan Andrzejewski

Re: Class 35 GE diesels on north line

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

2nd photo, good contrast with the sun on the train and the dark sky in the back ground.
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Yes the second one is good but I prefer the first one.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

COMILOG locos. It could be they were on transfer to or from Congo. Sometimes locos on transfer work freights.

Return to “South Africa - Diesel Motive Power”