6E1s at monument station

Photos of Southern African Electric Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Aidan McCarthy

6E1s at monument station

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi,

A few photos of 6E1s stabled at Monument station Cape Town. These are used on the Shosholoza Meyl trains and are stationed here as opposed the the electric depot due to the dispute between PRASA and TFR.
Attachments
_DSC0084.jpg
_DSC0084.jpg (125.6 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
_DSC0086.jpg
_DSC0086.jpg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
_DSC0087.jpg
_DSC0087.jpg (122.82 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Re: 6E1s at monument station

Post by Steve Appleton »

Forgive me for asking (and my possible ignorance), but are Cape Town and Monument stations one and the same? Is Monument a railways synonym for Cape Town? I cannot find a Monument station on any map (the first stations out of Cape Town seem to be Esplanade and Woodstock. From the pics, including the overpass bridge carrying either Oswald Pirow St or the Southern Freeway and the Goodhope Centre in the background, this looks like the entrance throat to Cape Town station.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi Steve,

Yes it is the bottom end of Cape Town station where the train lodge is, the locals refer to this as monument station.
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Monument station actually refers to the original station of the Cape Town to Sea Point railway line that was located very close to the statue of Jan van Riebeeck, which at the time of opening was almost on the shore line. The famous jetty at the bottom of Adderley street was only a short distance away.

The current Monutment station refers to platforms 25-29 of the main Cape Town station. These platforms previously housed the SAR's parcel service and shafts still exist on these platforms that connect to an underground tunnel system that supposedly connected to the old Post Office in Plein street??? This area of the Cape Town station uses a totally different entrance to the main passenger station complex and the name Monument station was chosen to reflect this location. Monument station was the starting point of some UL tours? Definately the starting point of Spier safaris and Atlantic Rail excursions.
Attachments
Monument station, as seen from Old Marine Drive. Oswald Pirow bridge is on the left (the white checkered building to the left of the monument station sign is the old Bantu-Longdistance station)
Monument station, as seen from Old Marine Drive. Oswald Pirow bridge is on the left (the white checkered building to the left of the monument station sign is the old Bantu-Longdistance station)
monument station.jpg (61.13 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Luca Lategan...
Greg Hart

Post by Greg Hart »

:)

I like the "NATCOR" natal corridor loco in capetown!! haha, well I saw E1211 (CW) in Durban, so I guess loco's are everywhere these days!

Cheers

Return to “South Africa - Electric Motive Power”