6E1 underneath bits

Photos of Southern African Electric Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Derek Walker

6E1 underneath bits

Post by Derek Walker »

When I was at the open day at Reefsteamers I was able to take a look at the bogie of a 6E1, this kindly orange lass let me stick my camera under her skirts.
A lonely toaster
A lonely toaster
underneath5.jpg (165.24 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Possibly the cause of her woes?
Possibly the cause of her woes?
underneath4.jpg (109.12 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
underneath3.jpg
underneath3.jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
underneath2.jpg
underneath2.jpg (98.22 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
underneath1.jpg
underneath1.jpg (113.09 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Andreas Umnus

Re: 6E1 underneath bits

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Nice detail pictures.
It was a good idea of you to take these pictures.
michael-davies

Post by michael-davies »

First post, third thread viewed and a big thanks for the bogie detail shots, massive amount of info I have been missing for years.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Michael
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Welcome to the forum, Michael, and glad that you have found it helpful so early on. We look forward to hearing more from you, and we hope that it continues to provide you with useful information.
michael-davies

Post by michael-davies »

John,

Thank you, I am in the process of collecting images and detail shots of SAR 18E for a 1/32 model I am planning, drawings are a nightmare (unlike the 25NC drawings I purchased which are a full set of factory drawings!) to find so I'm having to make my own scaled drawings from good square on photos, also collecting images and data when I come across it for 7E, 10E and 11E. It seems that SAR utilize many common components, such as wheels and other running gear components, which is handy as much below deck stuff has not changed from the 6E1 to 18E conversion, thus doubling the amount of prospective data.

As usual being several continents away you cannot pop down to the local yard for shots :), roof and running gear are thus far the hardest areas to nail down.

I see you have a model rail section so I will post progress images in there if that is ok as I go along, but it will be a slow and long process I think.

Kindest

Michael
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

We look forward to seeing the photos in the model railway section in due course. Good luck!
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

I seem to recall that somebody at the one facebook group I was on had very good images of the 6E1 underbits as well, I am no longer on that group but may still have the pics floating around. I will drop you a pm if I find them Michael.
Ok, just checked now, I dont have the pics any longer, and the group is a closed on so cant get back there to check what there was.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Philip Martin

Post by Philip Martin »

Here are a couple of 1Es double heading a passenger train in Durban, Natal around 1930. They were built in 1925 to electrify the railroad 171 miles between Glencoe and Pietermaritzburg, where mineral traffic and grades had steam trains averaging 8 miles per hour. (This is all from Wiki.) The 1Es could average 21 mph, thus increasing the capacity of the line. They also reduced the number of helpers engines needed, so employee expenses were slashed by a third. They had regenerative braking which allowed higher speeds on descending grades, and saved wear on on the train brakes.
Here's a link to the Wiki article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Class_1E
The photo is by the Linton Brothers, provided by the State Library of Victoria.
Attachments
Class_1E.jpg
Class_1E.jpg (149.48 KiB) Viewed 2883 times

Return to “South Africa - Electric Motive Power”