Portrait of a loco

Photos of Southern African Electric Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Andreas Umnus

Portrait of a loco

Post by Andreas Umnus »

When I was in Kroonstad, I took this picture through a loco to another. I thought this must look nice.
So I have no idea which locoI took a photo of.
Attachments
A loco in the depot of Kroonstad 1995.
A loco in the depot of Kroonstad 1995.
img511-L.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Re: Portrait of a loco

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Andreas, this is, or better yet, a now withdrawn SAR Class 5E/1 electric.
Very little in this picture as to what "her" running number was. Probably scrapped by now, as the entire fleet of 5E's and 5E-1's have been withdrawn from service 2008 - 2010. RR has managed tp purchase a few, but they yet to see any proper service to date.

I also know there are probably 2 locos still left, sitting ideal and rusting away, at Belville, in Cape Town, which formed part of the Union Limited fleet, also no longer in use!
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Greg Hart

Post by Greg Hart »

indeed.

There is also E1101 which is still used on a "road knowlege" train at Danskraal (ladysmith) painted in blue spoornet livery :) still see's regular main line service so to speak if you can call it that .. ;)
Greg Hart

Post by Greg Hart »

Looking at the side shape and headlight style, It could be a E6xx E7xx or E8xx number??
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

We have 3 5E's rusting here in Bellville a 4E and a 3E

Return to “South Africa - Electric Motive Power”