coaches - kaapsehoop Hiking trail

Photos of Southern African Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Moving Items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
allanroy

coaches - kaapsehoop Hiking trail

Post by allanroy »

Was looking through some of my old photos and found these two. These two coaches where the base camp for the Kaapsehoop hiking trail. These photos must have been taken in the early 90's.
The coach on the left has number 8892 on the door and I cannot see a number on the other one.
Attachments
2009_1107_140827.JPG
2009_1107_140817.JPG
Stefan Andrzejewski

Re: coaches - kaapsehoop Hiking trail

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

Where is Kaapsehoop Alan?
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

its situated 25km southwest of Nelspruit on a buttress of the Mpumalanga escarpment.
carldasnevesvieira

Post by carldasnevesvieira »

Hi Allan

Great photos.
Could you tell me if the other coach is a 1st class (C-34) or is it a 1/2 class (D-37) ?

8892 is a confirmed ID for the 2nd class (E-16).

Thanks
Carlos
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

Sorry Carlos I have no idea and I cannot make out a umber on the photos
carldasnevesvieira

Hi Allan

Thanks no problem.

I just thought you may have noticed the second half of that coach.
I know the 2nd class is a E-16 the last of this class is 8895 so makes 8892 the youngest member of the E-16 family.

If the other is a C-34 ----1st class---- then another one for the list. There used to be a lot of these which saw service back in the 80s on steam specials and then all of the sudden the numbers went down.

If it is a D-37 ---a 1/2 class----- it is one of many who still exist today.

I somehow suspect it may be a C-34.

Anyway thanks for the great photos and for your reply.

Regards
Carlos
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

been searching the net trying to find info on these coaches with no luck. But I found pictures on another coach in kaapsehoop painted .

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1243/574 ... 1a6e66.jpg

Any idea what this one is?
Stefan Andrzejewski

This coach looks like something from the old Presidential White Train, or an old Drakensberg coach painted white.
carldasnevesvieira

Hi Allan and Stefan

That coach is number 52 of the White train and the original R8 of the Royal Train which was the Queen's coach----in this case the late Queen Mother wife of King George V and mother of the present Queen Elizabeth II.

This coach was built by Metro-Cammell in 1947 who also did the other Royal coaches R6,R7,R9 and also 43 and 44 which were PM's Smuts coaches and 49 ex 126 which was well known for the Rhodesian talks in Victoria Falls.

The same company also produced before the war the Blue Train later Drakensberg hence the similarities.

It is to note as well that in 1947 with the Royal train coaches four sleeper coaches to type C-31-A and C-31-B of numbers 8197 to 8200 were also made and three of these saw service with the Royal train and then later went to do service with the Blue Train/Drakensberg together with her original sisters.

Cheers
Carlos
Stefan Andrzejewski

Thanx Carlos. I never thought of the Royal train
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Hi Carlos, do you maybe have some information on SAR coach 42 for me please?
Luca Lategan...
carldasnevesvieira

Hi Stefan

You are welcomed.

Hi Luca

Coach 42 was also built by the Metro-Cammell in 47 and brought to South Africa for the Royal Train. She is actually the other one I forgot to inc with the others already mentioned.---R6,R7,R8,R9.

She ran in the tour as R13 and carried Mr. Sturrock who was the Min for Transport at the time. In the eighties she was part of a small train made up of 42,49,43,44--I saw these once in Germiston and this set was used in the Rhodesian talks as well as the one held in Komati.

As you all might know 42 is now with Reefsteamers.

Cheers
Carlos
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Yes, thats why I was asking about 42, It's a very nice coach indeed, albeit not in original condition, new furniture, new carpets, new 3/4 beds, new kitchen and no more aircon. On the outside it carries red/grey SAR livery and the SAR-era name, "VOORENTOE" [sic].
Luca Lategan...
carldasnevesvieira

I agree.

42 like other luxury coaches that were made by Metro-Cammell were one of a kind. No other Railway company could have produced something similar. Even the CFM put in an order for 1st class coaches which were placed on the Beira-Rhodesia route and I suspect after our Blue Train went down to LM as it did many times and the sight of our train must have convinced the CFM authorities to put an order for the A4--v.

The other Air/Con coaches in service with CFM were the Belgium built A2--v and the later Portuguese built A7--v.

As to the interior of 42 you will find a change as this coach after the 47 trip was allocated as a private coach for use by one of the SAR top brass. No doubt he changed the interiors to suit his taste and over the years I am sure it went through many changes keeping up with "new owners".
As to it not having its Air/Cond does not suprise me as even the Drakensberg lost several coaches 8285,8286,8287,8288,8289,8290 back in mid 80s and I strongly suspect it was for spare parts.

Cheers
Carlos
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Interesting, forgot to add that at a time in South Africa when 99% of the population didn't have electricity or running water in their homes this was luxury at its peak! Just the lounge alone has 12 Fluorecent lights, the aircon could warm and chill with variable intensity settings, plus underfloor heating. Each room had a button for the attendant that rang a bell in his compartment and a little light in the passage to show who's calling. Each room had a washbasin with hot and cold water plus the bathroom is fitted with a bath, basin and proper flush toilet. In the kitcen area there must've been a gas stove plus cupboards moulded for glasses, wine, plates and a refrigerated dispensary. I don't know if this was only fitted later, but each room also had a connectionpoint for a telephone. At each end of the coach there is an array of electrical connection points to keep all this services running.

Because of all this fancyness, the tare weight of this coach is a whopping 50 tons with much already removed with the cutterstorch. Because of this heavy weight and the ability to sleep only six people, it is not a favourite for Reefsteamers to use.
Luca Lategan...

Return to “South Africa - Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Vehicles”