coaches - kaapsehoop Hiking trail

Photos of Southern African Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Moving Items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
carldasnevesvieira

Re: coaches - kaapsehoop Hiking trail

Post by carldasnevesvieira »

It is also interesting that many still do not have water and electricity in this world (inc South Africa) and many children die from hunger-----that is something that existed before our birth and will exist after we all pass on.

Do not forget that the Royal family travelled two years after the war ended. In England there were cases of people besides not having electricity and water also did not have homes due to the war especially the Germans bombings & later V-bombs. Also in Europe,the Continent was still recovering from the ravages of war. No Employment --former soldiers dropped in civil life---I am sure even happened in our country not to the extreme as in Europe or England. If it was wise or not for them (Royal family) to have travelled in a time like this --is something that is not worth wasting time on and we leave it to the Historians.

Reefsteamers should use the coach as a admin office or as a luxury accom for overseas or even locals to the site. Sell the idea that it is a former Royal train coach that the visitor would be sleeping in. It is clearly that they will never take passengers and it would be pointless to remove the excess weight by cutterstorch........for what? You are taking the historic value of it. For what purpose? No one would do that to a steam loco why do it to a coach?

From what you described to me of its interior she is exactly as she was. Even the connectionpoint for the phone was something which was used for the Royal Train. I know as I have a list of all numbers that had been allocated to everyone. There are things in that coach today,that go back to 1947.

As to the lounge with the lights. I have original photos of R8 which was the Queens coach and you should see the lounge. Your jaw would drop. You must remember that this was the first full Royal train in South Africa and had to be fit for King and Queen. Before then any Royal visit was done aboard coach number 3 which is in Namibia and I understand this coach was painted in white for those early Royal duties. There will be no Royal train of the future in SA as and when she visits the country she will go by plane and if she needs to travel by train --there is always the Blue Train.

Cheers
Carlos
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Well, that 1947 visit was the equivalent of our 2010. Tracks was lain so that the smallest town could be visited, towns was dollied up and all sorts of other work was created with the visit in mind, didn't know what happend to all that after the tour, maybe the same will happen after the soccer to the billions we are investing now in anticipation for the event.

Forgot to add that it is also almost completely sound-proof, not even the container or rattling cartrains that come rumbling past at 02h00 bothers.

They can think of the visitor idea as soon as I vacate it end November :)
Luca Lategan...
carldasnevesvieira

Completely. 2010 will be in a way a copy of the 1947 trip. I have a friend in Durban who told me about the revamp there resembles a war zone. In a certain way the positive of this is that SA will leapfrog years into the future with a new South Africa as far infrastructure is concerned. The Gautrain would have never been thought about if it was not with 2010 in mind and much and much more is done with that purpose. Please note I am not saying it would never have been done but the time has been brought forward for these projects.

I lived in Algarve when Euro 2004 --a mini version of World Cup----was around and it was funny in a way to see all the work being done --even a speed train from Lisbon was introduced to Faro and here they almost did the station from the ground up. Other stations were created inc one near the new stadium and given to local clubs who went bankrupt --could not keep it and then it was used for concerts and shows.

Naturally all this excitement lasted longer than the Euro itself. Another example in that country was the Expo 92 which was done in Lisbon in a disgusting area that even had the ground cleared for petrol--do not ask how---and they eneded up by transforming it into a great place and the railway station there is out of this world.See following:
http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/APHHXW.jpg

The trouble with these sorts of events is what to do with them afterwards. Euro 2004 was a failure contrary to Expo92. What needs to be done is make the most of it. WC 2010 is not just a month of soccer but it is the years of benefict that came afterwards.
Railway,stations,trains inc Gautrain must be made use in a positive way otherwise we are doing to have another Metroblitz in our hands where the max was taken out of it as a novelty and like a toy belonging to a spoilt child it went straight into the bin.

42 would be noise proof. Even the Drakensberg coaches were the same. Nice to know you are in 42. Enjoy and make the most of this most and interesting historic coach.

Cheers
Carlos
carldasnevesvieira

Hi Luca and all

Check this out :

A photo of 42 or what she was then R13 as part of the Royal Train 1947.
She is the coach closest to the camera --ie to your extreme left side.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N0 ... 938342274/

As part of the train you can see her again ,she is the second last coach from your far right:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hilton-t/4031650331/

A picture of Sturrock with the young Royals :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hilton-t/4029448512/

Royal lounge R8:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hilton-t/4026817894/

Some of the coaches:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hilton-t/4026846852/

I suggest have a look at the rest.

Cheers
Carlos
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

WONDERFUL! 42 has a door just like the on in the lounge. I would like one of those chairs! Also interesting is that all switches etc had writing in both Afrikaans and English.

Carlos, your question about jobcreation is totally answered in the following picture!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hilton-t/4 ... 494463509/

I wish I have 10 labourers to help me with the washing of the Cherryfestival train!
Luca Lategan...
carldasnevesvieira

If that was a result of job creation in South Africa before or after 2010 let me tell you that the only unemployed would be the officials of the unemployment office due to lack of work.

Trains would run clean in South Africa and none in TFR or whatever they are called this week would not need to paint over the dirt to make it look better as I think is in many cases.

I remember when I was in JHB back in mid 80s that the Museum had a phone from the Royal train I do not think any of the furniture survived. It would be interesting to know. If it did, it is probably somewhere in George.

Just a bit of useless information:

I once saw a diagram for 51 ex R7 which was later the Presidents coach and his layout inside was exactly the same as the 1972 Blue Train coach that had the compartment/shower ---suite--coupe with shower. Exact copy.
Wonder how many people who travelled in that coach realized that their interior had been inspired from the State Presidents coach?

Cheers,Boet
Carlos
nicola wilson

Post by nicola wilson »

hi, I am the owner of the white train coach, used by queen Elizabeth for her SA tour in 1947, which now stands in Kaapsehoop. I would like to sell the coach to someone who would give it the attention and care it deserves. Anybody interested? Anyone have and idea of its value? and any ideas on how to go about selling the coach?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks for posting, Nicola. I hope you'll get some interest from forum members.
nicola wilson

Post by nicola wilson »

I hope so too. Its such a lovely old coach, and I'm not too sure where to find people who would appreciate it, but this may very well be that place. At the moment we are using the coach as a tiny guesthouse.
AllanRobertson

Post by AllanRobertson »

nicola wilson wrote:hi, I am the owner of the white train coach, used by queen Elizabeth for her SA tour in 1947, which now stands in Kaapsehoop. I would like to sell the coach to someone who would give it the attention and care it deserves. Anybody interested? Anyone have and idea of its value? and any ideas on how to go about selling the coach?
Hi Nicola,

I am doing research now on the feasibility of buying your lovely coach. Could you give me some of the history you have with her and also previous owners if you have any. One of the big challenges is transportation, especially as she is so heavy. Who did you use to do the transport and placement originally? Any suggestions from members will be appreciated as well.
Allan Robertson.
nicola wilson

Post by nicola wilson »

hi Allan, the coach was already in situ when I bought it, but I believe it was brought here by low bed and they used cranes to place it. Its stands on rails. it has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and the configuration is original. It is fully panelled in wood which is still in pretty good shape. we use it as a tiny guest house and would consider selling it if we could build a cottage for the amount we could get for the coach. It was originally placed here by Richard Hugget who has since passed away, he bought it on a auction around 1985ish. my email address is nicolawilson39@gmail.com, you are welcome to email me should you require any further info or photos.
AllanRobertson

Post by AllanRobertson »

Thank you Nicola. I will be in touch. ( Thinks to self: " Now maybe if I can tie a million balloons to her....")

Regards,
Allan Robertson.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Might be worth asking Geoff Pethwick for advice and contacts on moving coaches around. He's a forum member so you can send him a PM.
nicola wilson

Post by nicola wilson »

thanks very much.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Consider hauling by rail in opposed to road.

Return to “South Africa - Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Vehicles”