Simons Town line closed

Photos of Southern African Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous railway items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Christopher King

Re: Simons Town line closed

Post by Christopher King »

Its great to see the line being reopened. Due to the long closure will there be a celebration with marching girls an massed band as they dis when it was first opened,? ( Perhaps not the marching girls then!)

Allen you must have got your feet we when taking those photos.
I also noted the the overhead is still in place, I thought it would be pulled to one side for the crane to work. Of Course, it is switched off! I presume the Glecairn Tie staion is still there.

Chris King
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

Fire broke out at the area where all the equipment is kept for the reconstruction of the railway line.

When try and go and see tomorrow what was burning.

allanroy

Post by allanroy »

just a pile of rubbish burning and also a few old wooden railway sleepers
Christopher King

Has the line ever reopened?
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

Yes it did reopen on the 21 Feb 2011
Christopher King

Thanks Alan, I missed it when I was ill. Do you happen to know whether there is a feeder substantiation in at Glencairn Now? Fish hoek was a tie station and False bay was the ;last actual substation in my day. It was talked about in 1959 when the sliding door stock was introduced as it consumed more power per train than the old ones The Electrical engineer objection was there was no supply line to glencairn. The railways did not want to buy power from Cape Town City council then.

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous”