Simons Town line closed

Photos of Southern African Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous railway items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Stefan Andrzejewski

Re: Simons Town line closed

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

Can't they make it to Glencairn?
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

Stefan Andrzejewski wrote:Can't they make it to Glencairn?
The train now stops at Glencairn. someone just needs to let the busses know and that the bus service only needs to be between Glencairn and Simons Town, the bus still go's all the way to Fish Hoek.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Is it going to be-opened? Or is this the begininning of the end?

How often and for how long has the line been closed before? I was in the Cape for 4 and half years and never recall this happening.....
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

Its the first time that I have seen it closed. The section between Glencairn and Simons Town needs some major work done to it. The sea walls that hold the track up have collapsed in places. Not sure how long it will take to repair.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

I wonder if tubular track would not be an ideal replacement?
Stefan Andrzejewski

Good idea Dylan. Is it cheaper than normal.
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

the track is not the problem, its the walls holding up the track. It cannot take the weight of the trains anymore as the foundations have collapsed. The tender that went out was for the repairs to these walls
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

I spoke to soon. A train was parked at Glencairn overnight but I have not seen a train on the line the last two days.

And now the Simons Town civic association want to try and get the city to implement a rapid bus system due to the disruption that this is causing.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Rapid bus system?!! Its impossible to move anywhere rapidly using the main rd.

When are repairs expected to take place? I cannot see this line being reopened before the end of the year, the fierce Winter storms and huge waves arrive in less than two months time.

What strikes me as odd is the "little" class 36 diesel has a higher axle loading than anything else that runs there. 18.25 tons!
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

update from metrorail
W r t the rehabilitation of the Simon’s Town railway line, consulting engineers have completed the required technical design work. Tenders for the construction work have been awarded and funds secured. The work entails repairs to the walls and track formation, concrete sealing/infill of voids under the wall foundation caused by scouring by wave action and the provision of a rock revetment to protect the walls and wall foundation from wave action.

The critical issue is the importing/rate of importing of the rock for the rock revetment to be placed against the wall. The rock is sourced from Somerset West and due to the weight is best transported by rail due to the road works between Muizenberg and Fish Hoek and anticipated road traffic disruptions at the off-load point. We are negotiating with Transnet Freight Rail for about 10 heavy good vehicles to assist. The anticipated date for re-opening the rail service is May 2010.
Stefan Andrzejewski

Thats good news.
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

It's May now. There are news already?
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

Line is still closed.

Metrorail have now said it should open at the end of May, but no work has started yet and winter is around the corner.

Bus service is still running
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

I doubt it will reopen before the end of Winter.
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

I agree with you on that Dylan.

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous”