Points tumbler and derailer

Photos of Southern African Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous railway items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Aidan McCarthy

Points tumbler and derailer

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi,

A derailer provides flank protection for a line from wagons in a siding. If the wagons in the siding start moving for whatever reason they will hit the derailer and derail so they do not get onto the mailine. The example on these photographs is linked to the points tumbler so when the points are set for the siding the derailer drops of the rail. They are know as "skilpads" by the crews. Interesting on the tumbler is that the bottom casting is stamped CGR, perhaps a survivor from Cape Government railways days.
Attachments
Derailer
Derailer
_DSC8756.jpg (94.52 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
Derailer
Derailer
_DSC8755.jpg (96.08 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
Points tumbler
Points tumbler
_DSC8754.jpg (115.3 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Aidan McCarthy

Re: Points tumbler and derailer

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi,

Some more photos of derailers. The derailer with signal is at Rooiwal station on the siding to the grain silos, it is operated from the cabin.
Attachments
Basic derailer
Basic derailer
_DSC9249.jpg (107.08 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
Derailer with shunt signal
Derailer with shunt signal
_DSC8879.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Christopher King

Post by Christopher King »

Dies anyone have a photo of the derailer escapememt crank or can some enlighten me a s to how the broken wire protection works. All cranks I dealt with were staright control bar with no broken wire protection.
That is a good clear photo thanks Aiden

Chris King
Ashley Peter

Post by Ashley Peter »

The correct terminology is actually "derail" - the term "derailer" appears to have been railway slang but with regular and common use, now seems to have become more or less the generally accepted name... There were various types of derail, the ones that are mechanically or electrically operated normally being of the "Hayes" type - named after the company that designed and manufactured them. The other, simpler type consisting of a bent piece of rail manually swung over the track and locked in place is more correctly known as a "Scotch Block" - not to be confused with a "scotch" - a metal or wooden sprag (triangular block) placed under a rail wheel to prevent unauthorised movement...
Christopher King

Post by Christopher King »

Hi ashley
You are of course correct it is a Hayes derail.
Most of the derails were Hayes pattern and we alsways got them in the field with no instructions. PW department mounted them but I never saw any instruictions until I correspoded with ahyes a few months ago.
I did find with SAR they were reluctant to tell the troops where the equipment came from.

Chris

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous”