Sudan: Station No 4

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related in the Sudan! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Sudan: Station No 4

Post by John Ashworth »

Attachments
Station No. 4 on the Khartoum-Wadi Halfa train line in Northern State, October 2009. Sudan boasts one of the most extensive train networks in Africa with over 3,100 miles of track, but years of neglect have taken their toll on the aging infrastructure
Station No. 4 on the Khartoum-Wadi Halfa train line in Northern State, October 2009. Sudan boasts one of the most extensive train networks in Africa with over 3,100 miles of track, but years of neglect have taken their toll on the aging infrastructure
110707_Sudan006.jpg (72.23 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
Train conductor's office at Station No. 4 on the Khartoum-Wadi Halfa rail line in Northern State, October 2009. The tracks in Sudan's railroad network were originally laid between 1895 and 1898 by Anglo-Egyptian forces as a military supply line during the colonial war against Muhammad Ahmad's Mahdist army.
Train conductor's office at Station No. 4 on the Khartoum-Wadi Halfa rail line in Northern State, October 2009. The tracks in Sudan's railroad network were originally laid between 1895 and 1898 by Anglo-Egyptian forces as a military supply line during the colonial war against Muhammad Ahmad's Mahdist army.
110707_Sudan004.jpg (186.47 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
ian cliff

Re: Sudan: Station No 4

Post by ian cliff »

Two very evocative photos. The "number" stations in the desert are a reminder of how desolate the Wadi Halfa - Abu Hamed line is. I've been through No 4 a few times on the train to/from Wadi Halfa but always at night. Since these photos were taken the Khartoum North-Wadi Halfa passenger train has been "temporarily suspended." Let's hope it is reinstated soon,
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Sudan: Station No 4

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Ian, and welcome to the forum - your first post, I believe, after being a sleeping member for some time. I look forward to hearing more on Sudan Railways from you, and perhaps to seeing some of your photos in due course. I hope to be in Wau next month and will try to take some pictures of the railhead there. I daren't hope that a train will actually arrive during the 10 days or so I expect to spend there!

Return to “Sudan and South Sudan - Photo Gallery”