Zimbabwe: RR 16A class 625 at Balla Balla, Apr 80

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related in Zimbabwe and Zambia! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Zimbabwe: RR 16A class 625 at Balla Balla, Apr 80

Post by Steve Appleton »

Posted for the photographer, Dennis Mitchell:
During 1980, whilst planning our trip to South Africa and Europe, I was keeping a close eye on events in the then Rhodesia, as I thought it would be "now or never" if the political situation was viable enough to go.
With trepidation, we decided to go for 4 days, and we got some shots, but our van was broken in to at Grahamstown, about 3 weeks later and the only thing I lost was the camera bag and 44 rolls of 36-exposure, exposed film. Luckily I had left two rolls with Martin Pemble in Jhb for him to send for processing and this shot was on them.
This is Rhodesia Railways 16A class No 625 leaving Balla Balla(?) during April 1980.
RR 16A 625 Balla Balla  1980.jpg
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Nathan Berelowitz

Re: Zimbabwe: RR 16A class 625 at Balla Balla, Apr 80

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

That was a tough section to work. I remember seeing the steam there aswell as on safari operations. Always loved those rocks at 'Bala Bala.

Return to “Zimbabwe and Zambia - Photo Gallery”