A fantastic website

Any suggestions, comments, questions, or feedback on the FOTR website or forum?
Stefan Andrzejewski

A fantastic website

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

I stumbled onto your forum by accident this week. I joined immediately. Trains and railway photography is a great passion of mine. If I stayed in Pretoria I would be down at Capital Park or Hercules every weekend getting my hands dirty. Driving a train is always something I wanted to do, but never got the opportunity. Here in Cape Town steam has all but gone. I have many photos that I would like to share with you mainly from the Western Cape. One thing I would like to add. Is there a possibility where one could add video clips of (SAR) trains. I am sure there must be thousands of clips that would be added to the forum and enjoyed. This site is by far the best for Trains in South Africa. Well done . Long live FOTR.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: A fantastic website

Post by John Ashworth »

Stefan, thanks for the compliment. We've put a lot of work into this forum, but ultimately it will only be as good as the people who use it, and you have already started to make a difference with the photos you have posted. May there be many more!

I wish you were in Pretoria! I started from scratch seven years ago and became a mainline fireman and a shedman (allowing me to move locomotives within the depot area but not out on the road) before my work took me back to Sudan so unfortunately I'm now contributing only from a distance. FOTR really needs more hands for Saturday work at CPK or the new Hercules depot, and our ever-increasing number of trains need crews. There are still opportunities for people to train as fireman and ultimately drivers. If that demands more time and commitment than most can offer, we also need train guards, train managers and coach controllers. There are openings for almost any skill, and we can train people if they come with goodwill but no skills.
Barend Botha

Post by Barend Botha »

Stefan, to share your videos you can allways create a youtube channel. See mine where I share all my videos with others at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainssa
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Stefan - thanks for your comments! Much appreciated.

I would like to see if we could accommodate video clips - not everyone has access to Youtube etc. Perhaps you (Stepahn or Barend) could e-mail one and I will try an few tests?
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

I have submitted a few videos on you tube under the name of Transkaroo. Barend I have watched all your you tube videos. I note though that you have not placed a new one for some time now
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Indeed, Kevin. I for one cannot access YouTube via our corporate internet. It is one of several barred sites, including Facebook for instance.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Come chaps - where is a trial video for the site?
Barend Botha

Post by Barend Botha »

Kevin, before I send a video I would like to know if it will work as the size of a video is 10MB or bigger?
Kevin Wilson-Smith

I do not know? That is why I need it. Alternatively what is the file extension used (it will be called something.XXX - the XXX bit is what I need) - I can then get a video file with the same extension and do tests.
Barend Botha

Post by Barend Botha »

****.mpg or I can convert to any other.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

OK - I have done a trial and this seems feasible.

Try and upload a smallish file here

http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... m.php?f=77

and see if it works (and if people can download it it).

If it does I will set up a separate section in the Forum next week.
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Hi Barend,

I found just your youtube channel.
Thanks for showing your videos.

Andreas

Return to “FOTR - Website and Forum Feedback - Your Suggestions and Questions !”