27. September 2008 - Elevated level & spiral - nearly there

A Forum that is covering a build of a European HO layout at the Model Train Exchange.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

27. September 2008 - Elevated level & spiral - nearly there

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Well, work continues, and major progress can be seen.

To sum up where we are at this point in time, and put the photos into perspective.............

The previous photos showed.....

1. Laying the first level of track completely on the base board.
2. This was then tested.
3. Since this first level of track will be hidden, all areas where there was NO track were then cut out - some of the material can be used for risers and the second level, and more importantly the holes provide access for maintenance on the lower level once the layout is complete.
4. Risers were then put into place, and track bases cut out, to support the second level of track.
5. Work on laying the second level of track then has gone ahead - which is where we are now.

At the present moment the second level is around 70% complete.

As the elevations on the track are now making things confusing, I have have provided a very basic diagram to orientate the viewer with the areas of the layout where the shots were taken.

Photo 1 of a general view of the layout. The elevated track is complete moving about 70% of the way anti-clock wise.

Photo 2 Shows the elevation over what will be the hidden yard.

Photo 3 Shows the track now turning the corner towards the spiral. The large flat area will have more track.

Photo 4 is quite amazing as it actually shows someone at at work! Proved by the movement, which I must however admit was very very slow, which is why it it blurred in this shot. This shot shows the spiral under construction and nearly finished.

Photo 5 shows a view from the center - the previous area in Photo 3 is on the left.
Attachments
basic.jpg
Photo 1 of a general view of the layout. The elevated track is complete moving about 70% of the way anti-clock wise.
Photo 3 Shows the track now turning the corner towards the spiral. The large flat area will have more track.
Photo 4 is quite amazing as it actually shows someone at at work! Proved by the movement, which I must however admit was very very slow, which is why it it blurred in this shot. This shot shows the spiral under construction and nearly finished.
Photo 5 shows a view from the center - the previous area in Photo 3 is on the left.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: 27. September 2008 - Elevated level & spiral - nearly there

Post by John Ashworth »

Kevin, great pictures of a great project.

As you post new pictures, can you give us some idea of the time frame for each phase of the project?
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

I will try!

Thinking about it, progress may seem slow. but this is reflective really of a need to refund the project from time to time, as well as the fact people run out of steam!

Generally 2-3 people work on it at a time, and the work seems to go fairly when the people and materials are available. Plus the skills too, as the people involved know what they are doing.

Will try and work out the time taken to date...............
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Kevin wrote:progress may seem slow
I was thinking quite the opposite - progress seems very good to me! But I would be interested to see how long each phase takes.

Return to “MTE Model Railway Layout Build #1 - HO European Layout.”