3094 Still Patiently Waiting Her Turn

Members can post FOTR related pictures of 15F 3094 here - screenshots or photographs - 800x600 pixels. Maximum size 130k. They will be pruned after 90 days. If you want to keep them for later, save them to your hard drive!
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Re: 3094 Still Patiently Waiting Her Turn

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Derek wrote;
logic says you cant just go and paint her, surely the rust will be removed and the steel primed before painting

I agree 100% with Derek, but I think it would be far better first to wash the entire loco and tender down with the high pressure cleaner that we have on hand at CPX depot, to remove all the dirt and all the loose pieces and or flaking rust. After the wash down of the loco and tender, and has sufficiently dried, in stages the rusted parts will need to be either be gently sand-blasted and or needle-gunned, and immediately thereafter a least two coats of red primer be applied to each stage.

Note that I used the word “stages”. This is to keep it surface areas, which need to be coated with red primer over a weekend, manageable. The down side, it that it will be about a two or three months before this job is completed, again all dependent on the hands available.

Once the loco is covered literally from head to toe in primer, only then should a final coat of black and white paints be added.

My two cents worth to this discussion!
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Again just a bit of planning, a bit more trouble now, may save a lot of frustration (and the all-important Rand factor) in the future.
Just a question about the water... Won't the high-pressure water get into places that it is not supposed to get into and then do more good than bad?
Luca Lategan...
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Ho Humm! Having restored a number of locomotives from rusty hulks to running heroes, I think that the local lads here are pretty clued up as to how to paint and preserve. Thanks for the advice and all, and what would be great is some physical help or better still, some chingaling from the depths of ones pockets.
Anyway, there have been some kind contributors, thanks Derek and Kevin and others, for the donation of some cash. We will be carrying on with this project, so watch this space.

No wonder Millsite is like it is!!!

Return to “FOTR - Steam Engine 15F 3094”