Kampala Station

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related in Uganda! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Kampala Station

Post by John Ashworth »

Photo taken in 1996 or '97 by John Ashworth
Attachments
Kampala Station
Kampala Station
Marc Russell

Re: Kampala Station

Post by Marc Russell »

I'm really surprised by the lack of acivity outside the main station of a capital city. Great pic!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Interesting observation, Marc. There are not many passenger trains, but nevertheless city centre railway stations are generally magnets for small businesses, street traders, etc. Nairobi Station also has very few passenger trains, but it has a busy bus and matatu (minibus) station in its forecourt. I'm just trying to recall all the times I've driven past Kampala Station recently and it seems it is a fairly quiet street. On my next trip (not sure when) I'll try and stop off and take some up to date pictures. It is an imposing station on the outside, a bit less so trackside.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

If I remember rightly there were never too many passenger trains scheduled. I remember for instance ever time we went by train from Nairobi to Kampala, there were only one or two passenger trains a week. I used to go with my Dad and would then organize a couple of days sailing around on the SS Victoria to kill time before the return trip. But I cannot for the life of me remember how we got from the ship (wherever it was) back to Kampala to get the train - once the ship left it took ages to get around Lake Victoria.

Return to “Uganda - Photo Gallery”