Kampala - dead steam

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related in Uganda! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Kampala - dead steam

Post by John Ashworth »

A pair of dead steam engines and an extra boiler rusting in Kampala. I couldn't identify them. One of them could be 6012, as I also have a photo of that number scrawled on the side of one of them, but it's not apparent which one it is. Presumably it would be either the Garratt or the lone boiler.

I only ever had that one opportunity (in 1996 or '97) to go in and photograph them close up. I just pitched up and introduced myself to the chief engineer in his office next to the station and he immediately welcomed me and assigned an engineer to show me around. However on many subsequent visits to Kampala, at least into the early 2000s, the locos could still be seen from the road if you looked carefully. On my more recent trips I haven't had a chance to look for them.

Photos taken in 1996 or '97 by John Ashworth
Attachments
There's a tree growing in the smokebox
There's a tree growing in the smokebox
063.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Dead steam
Dead steam
Dead steam
Dead steam
Dead steam
Dead steam
Garratt
Garratt
View of both locos
View of both locos
Boiler
Boiler
069.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Chris Janisch

Re: Kampala - dead steam

Post by Chris Janisch »

Shocking. Hope someone has put them out of their misery.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Re: Kampala - dead steam

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Amazing that they have survived to the extent they have, given the torrid climate there. Garratt looks not too bad?

Return to “Uganda - Photo Gallery”