Maputo Station April 2011

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related in Mocambique and Angola! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Chris Janisch

Maputo Station April 2011

Post by Chris Janisch »

During the week before Easter our family enjoyed a great cruise on the "Synphonia" hotel on water, from Durbs to Maputo and Inhambane.
It was a most exhausting trip chasing kids around the ship and engaging in nonstop activities. Somewhat out of breath and out of pocket we headed down the South Coast afterwards for some R&R over Easter!
The ship berths right opposite the Maputo station for the day, enabling pax to disembark and explore the city. By all accounts there is little to see, the town being very run-down and full of beggars. My family enquired whether there had been a war recently as there were many shelled and burnt buildings. I replied that there had indeed been one but that had ended about 10 years ago! I elected to have a quiet morning on board, and headed for the station in the afternoon once the excitement amongst the locals had subsided.
There were tour groups on the station so I listened and wandered around a little. There are 2 preserved locos on the platform, and a new museum under construction on an island platform. Nice shops and a restaurant are also in residence. It seems that there is a good awareness of rail heritage here despite the lack of funds.The station is generally neat but there is the inevitable feel of decay in the air. Rolling stock is all rather decrepit and liveries faded. Coaches are being repaired in the old steam loco depot near the station and come out in a green livery. There are still many dirty brown coaches in use. Traffic is quiet, with 3 pass trains departing in the morning and 3 arriving in the late afternoon. There was a diesel shunter on duty all day and it seemed fairly busy. There was no shunting into the harbour although the tracks seem used. I walked the yards and was not accosted by any AK47-toting folk although several were spotted lurking nearby. Staff all were friendly and helpful.
Here are some shots from the day..
Attachments
Coffee-pot 1 on display-this loco worked the mainline to Ressano Garcia
Coffee-pot 1 on display-this loco worked the mainline to Ressano Garcia
maputo2011 005z.jpg (120.03 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Coffee-pot 2- apparently worked light local duties
Coffee-pot 2- apparently worked light local duties
maputo2011 006z.jpg (126.28 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
It is perhaps not well known that Botswana presented their passenger stock to Mozambique as a gift some while back. Here the blue rake stands proudly out of use and rusting away at Maputo Central!
It is perhaps not well known that Botswana presented their passenger stock to Mozambique as a gift some while back. Here the blue rake stands proudly out of use and rusting away at Maputo Central!
maputo2011 010Z.jpg (137.03 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
What appears to be an old DMU, out of use as usual. Check out the more impressive Sinfonia in the background!
What appears to be an old DMU, out of use as usual. Check out the more impressive Sinfonia in the background!
maputo2011 012Z.jpg (120.14 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
een and blue passenger coaches at the station with the famous cupola(dome) in the background, the landmark of the city. In the background an NRZ diesel
een and blue passenger coaches at the station with the famous cupola(dome) in the background, the landmark of the city. In the background an NRZ diesel
maputo2011 014Z.jpg (121.2 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Now what was an NRZ 10A diesel and caboose doing in Maputo when they could be of use back at home? The staff seemed to think that this was an NRZ delegation that had popped across for a holiday, to look around and shop and little!
Now what was an NRZ 10A diesel and caboose doing in Maputo when they could be of use back at home? The staff seemed to think that this was an NRZ delegation that had popped across for a holiday, to look around and shop and little!
maputo2011 016Z.jpg (131.26 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Looking eastwards across the yards with the old shed on the left, now used as C&W works.
Looking eastwards across the yards with the old shed on the left, now used as C&W works.
maputo2011 022Z.jpg (102.4 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
The first afternoon arrival from Ressano Garcia cruises into the station, as viewd fron the top deck of the Sinfonia with drink in hand...
The first afternoon arrival from Ressano Garcia cruises into the station, as viewd fron the top deck of the Sinfonia with drink in hand...
maputo2011 030z.jpg (127.96 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Another view with the rundown burnt-out city in the background.
Another view with the rundown burnt-out city in the background.
maputo2011 031z.jpg (124.23 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
The little diesel shunter makes up another load as evening approaches. Time to hit the pool deck and bar!
The little diesel shunter makes up another load as evening approaches. Time to hit the pool deck and bar!
maputo2011 036z.jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
peterbagshawe

Re: Maputo Station April 2011

Post by peterbagshawe »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the most interesting photos, your ship provided an excellent view point.

With regard to the ex Botswana Railway coaches, you state that they were a gift by Botswana to Mocambique. This is news to me, and I would be grateful for confirmation. After BR withdrew their passenger services (they actually used the word "suspend", but made sure it was permanent by getting rid of the coaches) 45 coaches were put on tender, closing date August 2009. My next news of the coaches was an observation of "lots" of them in Maputo Station in April 2010. I presumed that CFM had been a successful tenderer, but, if you are correct, they possibly received no tenders and so gave them away. By April 2010 some of them had already been overhauled by CFM and repainted in a green and cream livery. Refer your photo of the NRZ DE10A in the station.

The loco on the passenger train was an ex Indian Railways YDM4, and the shunter looks like a GE U10B. According to Railways of Southern Africa Locomotive Guide, the latter were all based at Beira. Did you get the loco numbers by any chance? The railcar is by Hitachi, and it is thought it may be reserved for the Museum.

Peter Bagshawe

Return to “Mocambique, Angola - Photo Gallery”