Tanzania: 2927

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related in Botswana, Namibia, Swaziland and other African Countries! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Tanzania: 2927

Post by John Ashworth »

Photos and text from Richard Hay, April 2012
Richard wrote:Dar: Station seemed pretty deserted apart from the security guards with some old coaches and a wagon or 2 lying around. It appeared that the platform roads do not have much traffic but one of the lines heading out was relatively shiny indicating some recent movement. The half-roundhouse shed looked unused although I didn’t investigate too closely. Found 2927 in the works having talked my way in past the security guards on the main gate (it was the easter weekend and they didn’t seem too bothered). It is undercover in the works adjacent to the main running lines in line with the end of the station platforms – in fact if someone knew it was there it would be possible to just make it out through the gaps in the shed walls. I would say it is unserviceable without some attention, not having moved I would estimate from the dust and grime one the wheels and motion for several years. There was no sign of any other steam engines although my stay was then cut short by a different set of guards who didn’t like me being there and I didn’t get to look further into the works! There were 4 36-class 0-6-0 diesel shunters dumped in another shed though and a single set of driving wheels along with what appeared to be an ex-loco boiler set up as a stationary boiler (not sure if useable) near to 2927. I didn’t get to the Tazara though – the following day I opted for a day at a hotel!
Attachments
2927-01s.jpg
2927-02s.jpg
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Tanzania: 2927

Post by John Ashworth »

A couple more...
Attachments
s-Front end of 2927.jpg
s-Front end of 2927.jpg (85.19 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
s2927 in Dar workshops.jpg