A First Time Visit to Zimbabwe

Steam motive power and operations in the rest of Africa
Nigel Petre

A First Time Visit to Zimbabwe

Post by Nigel Petre »

First of all I am new to this forum and I apologise for my newbieism.

My name is Nigel Petre, I am a booking office clerk working for Northern Rail in the U.K.
I am visiting Zimbabwe for the first time from 5th to 15th December. I am asking humbly for any information and advice for the rail enthusiast. I am not visiting Zimbabwe soley for railways but for a family event. I will be based in Gweru.
I would love to know firstly if there could be any steam activity over the length of my stay. I do plan to visit Bulawayo on one of the days and I am hoping to get to Hwange colliery, but if anyone knows of any concrete steam workings during my stay that would be most welcome.
Also has anyone any information regarding photography at depots and yards? Is this possible if you go and ask, or can you write to NRZ before I leave?
Any help, information and general tips would be most welcome.
Thank you all in advance.
Nigel A Petre
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: A First Time Visit to Zimbabwe

Post by John Ashworth »

NIgel, first of all welcome to the forum. I suspect we have people who can answer your questions.

As far as I know you will still find steam around Bulawayo, but others will have more details. Last time I was there was about 10 years ago. As I was standing on a platform taking photos a uniformed inspector walked up to me and said, "What are you doing taking photos from the platform?" I was expecting to get a telling off when he continued, "You'll get much better photos if you walk across the tracks here!" I did so, and within minutes the driver of a passing Garratt beckoned me to climb up on the footplate and I had a nice little trip around the balloon. If the staff are still as friendly now as they were then, you'll have a good time.

PS: I've moved this to the African steam section of the forum.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Hi Nigel,
Geoff Cooke organises and runs one or two steam train safaris in Zimbabwe in conjunction with NRZ each year. Geoff once lived in Zim and, in fact, once owned a private tourist train in Bulawayo running to Victoria Falls. He sold that and now lives in and runs a rail tourism business from the UK but remains very familiar with the Zim rail scene. I will send you his email address by private message.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Interesting article on tourism in Zimbabwe in the Guardian:

On safari in Zimbabwe: a country in search of tourism
Nigel Petre

Post by Nigel Petre »

I would like to thank John and Steve for their replies and putting me in contact with people in the know like Geoff Cooke who provided me with the contacts in Zimbabwe.
Hopefully I will provide the forum with a visit report and some photographs. I am really looking forward to my visit.

Nigel A Petre

Return to “Rest of Africa - Steam Motive Power”