My Visit to Bulawayo Steam Shed 11th December

Steam motive power and operations in the rest of Africa
Nigel Petre

My Visit to Bulawayo Steam Shed 11th December

Post by Nigel Petre »

Good day All,

I managed to visit Bulawayo for a few hours on Tuesday 11th December whilst in Zimbabwe on a family event.
I found no 613 in steam. It was just outside the steam shed out towards the main line, but unfortunately it was off the road!! The front pony wheel set was derailed.
Inside the shed a fitter was working on 395 he advised me that it was to be put in steam later that day for the Victoria Falls Christmas season. He told me that it was the best loco of the lot.
Unfortunately with 613 off the road, there was nobody to ask what was the position with the others, and my time was limited, so I could not hang about all afternoon. Pity.
Earlier whilst I was attempting to get my photograhic permit, a manager informed me that there were still three steam diagrams per weekday, but the drivers were refusing to accept them, so diesels were being used instead. Why 613 was in steam, I didn't know, only that I thought it must have been on standby.
Maybe someone could enlighten me on that one.
I have put my photos from that day on my Flickr site. I will upload some on here when I have a few minutes.

Nigel A Petre.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: My Visit to Bulawayo Steam Shed 11th December

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Nigel. Looking forward to seeing some of the photos.

Return to “Rest of Africa - Steam Motive Power”