Gautrain ride

Photos of the Gautrain System! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest may be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
allanroy

Re: Gautrain ride

Post by allanroy »

its because you have to spend a extra R10 to get the card
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

The airport sktrain in Bangkok opened yesterday. This took longer to build than Gautrain, then after completion, stood about a year with many fals opening days, so we have done pretty well here. Great set of photos especially the passing trains one.
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

Some pics from the trip I took to Rhodesfield
Rhodesfield Station
gau01.jpg
gau01.jpg (90.77 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
gau05.jpg
gau05.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
gautrain02.jpg
gautrain02.jpg (96.12 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
gau04.jpg
gau04.jpg (82.95 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
In Sandton Station
In Sandton Station
gautrain03.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Great pictures of a great train! I see it has the 5-abreast seating, in 3+2 formation, which is common on shorter journeys in UK, although not always popular.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

John, the decision to use 3+2 on the Gautrain was also critised here too (as was the plan not to have on-board toilets), especially in the light that the train is intended to provide similar or better levels of comfort to a car in order to entice motorists off the roads. I hear, although I have not personally been aboard, that the separate coaches used for the ORT airport service contain more spacious 2+2 seating. The DB ICE has 1+2 seating in first class as I recall from a trip in Germany a few years ago. Now that is really spacious. Incidently, SA dining cars also use 1+2 seating.
The old slam-door 2M suburban coaches used by FOTR have bench seats intended for 3+2 seating across the width. The reality is that, given the large size of many SA adults, it is impossible to seat 3 adults across in comfort on the wider bench, so we deliberately carry fewer pax per coach to allow for that.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
allanroy

Post by allanroy »

When I caught the Gautrain from the airport the seating in the airport coaches was 2+2 and it also has space for suitcases at the doors

Return to “Gautrain”