Metro Train south of Durban 1995

Photos of Southern African Metro Rail Systems! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest may be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Andreas Umnus

Metro Train south of Durban 1995

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Here is a photo I took of a Metro train south of Durban.
The number which is shown in the display says 0756.
Attachments
Train 0756 south of Durban in 1995
Train 0756 south of Durban in 1995
Nathan Berelowitz

Re: Metro Train south of Durban 1995

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

If you compare to todays colours and modifications, these were really emotionless sets! Must say one thing though, when Metro took over and branded their sets with their corporate colours, they have stayed with them, unlike their counterparts who change colour schemes as fast as a signal aspect changes!
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

I still prefer these old sets, in modern days they have that plastic windows that you can barely get your ears through and that's so dirty that they can just paint it over and get done with. They also removed the luggage racks and the toilets. No moving forward here...
Luca Lategan...
Greg Hart

Post by Greg Hart »

awesome pic.. thats by Scottburgh golf course, on its way to Kelso. 0756, about a mid-day train.. :) also the days when all our sets were "long"
Brendon Anderson

Post by Brendon Anderson »

Greg Hart wrote:awesome pic.. thats by Scottburgh golf course, on its way to Kelso. 0756, about a mid-day train.. :) also the days when all our sets were "long"
That section of railway line was very kind to me during a round a golf at Scottburgh when after a wayward drive the railway very kindly sent my ball back onto the fairway..
Greg Hart

Post by Greg Hart »

That time we waited for water there with 2637 or 2685, the golfers were either terrible or trying to aim for our beautiful springbok emblem windows custom made by clem robins himself.. ;)
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

@ Greg: Thank you for the name of the place. I couldn't remember where it was.
But you're right it was nearby Scottburgh. I remember now.
Greg Hart

Post by Greg Hart »

Andreas Umnus wrote:@ Greg: Thank you for the name of the place. I couldn't remember where it was.
But you're right it was nearby Scottburgh. I remember now.
Hey Andreas, I see all your pictures are awesome!! , esp the Natal one's ;). Do you have any of the old main line between Durban & Cato Ridge??

cheers
G
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Do you have any of the old main line between Durban & Cato Ridge??
Unfortunately not. That was the only picture I took nearby Durban. But I still have some pictures from the old days.....
Thanks for the compliment.
Andreas
Jez Smith

Post by Jez Smith »

Nathan Berelowitz wrote:If you compare to today's colours and modifications, these were really emotionless sets!
I must disagree. I looked at pictures of SAR trains back in the 1980's and thought that I would never see a 5E1 or a 5M in the flesh, in the classic SAR livery. Later, I married a South African lady, and I visit SA regularly, but sadly all 5M's are yellow and grey, and the 5E's & 5E1's are gone,but at least I can still see class 6E1's, 8E's and 10E's in this great colour scheme in Kimberley.
Your perception of 'lack of emotion' was counterbalanced by better service reminiscent of a time gone by, much like the rest of South Africa's rail system. I have witnessed first hand the wanton destruction of the uk's rail system, and I hope South Africa does not go the same way.

Jez Smith,
Liverpool, UK

Return to “Metro Rail Systems”