7.N Scale garage layout

A Forum that is covering a build of an American N Gauge layout by F Kleynhans.
fanie kleynhans

7.N Scale garage layout

Post by fanie kleynhans »

Time for some pics again. What I have been doing up to now is adding ground cover and ballasting, still need to make a few trees though. Also I built a few signals (not working like real ones, just showing a constant green and when a train pass it changes to red and back to green after about 10 sec) and level crossing flashing lights. I will make another post about how I built them, this post is just following a train around the layout.
Attachments
Small loco service area.
Small loco service area.
IMG0390_done.jpg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
Train ready to leave the main yard area.
Train ready to leave the main yard area.
IMG0391_done.jpg (74.75 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
Here the line climbs over itself.
Here the line climbs over itself.
IMG0393_done.jpg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
Passing a Vodacom tower! I scratch built it out of some scrap plastic strips.
Passing a Vodacom tower! I scratch built it out of some scrap plastic strips.
IMG0394_done.jpg (61.82 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
Passing the refinary area, those two silver tanks are PVC pipe!
Passing the refinary area, those two silver tanks are PVC pipe!
IMG0395_done.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
About to enter the big mountain, here you can see the level crossing lights.
About to enter the big mountain, here you can see the level crossing lights.
IMG0396_done.jpg (79.73 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
Exiting the big mountain tunnel, down hill from here to the grain elevator area.
Exiting the big mountain tunnel, down hill from here to the grain elevator area.
IMG0399_done.jpg (83.56 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
Slowly going down hill.
Slowly going down hill.
IMG0400_done.jpg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
Continuing down hill.
Continuing down hill.
IMG0401_done.jpg (95.96 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
Passing the grain elevator.
Passing the grain elevator.
IMG0402_done.jpg (76.91 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
About to enter a short tunnel, from here down hill to the main yard.
About to enter a short tunnel, from here down hill to the main yard.
IMG0403_done.jpg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
Arriving back in the main yard area.
Arriving back in the main yard area.
IMG0405_done.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
arnocronje

Re: 7.N Scale garage layout

Post by arnocronje »

Hi Fanie, nice to see such a neat N scale model. I am modeling in both HO and N scale. I have had a fairly large HO layout since 1987, but it was never displayed (built) I started on the layout about 3 years ago, in the basement of a rondawel. Since my time and space is very limited, progress is a bit slow. I am also forced to construct it in such a way that it can be removed. I recently started modeling in N, a modular layout (one-track style) which allows me to build it in my study in 1m x 450mm modules, and then later join the modules to complete the model. I decided to model the Sishen-Saldanha line, and am still doing research. Are you aware of anybody who has modelled the line before?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Welcome to the forum, Arno - your first post, and we hope to see many more, including perhaps some pictures of your layout?
arnocronje

Post by arnocronje »

Thanks John, will do so. I have a mojor interest in the Sishen Saldanha line and visited Saldanha about three weeks ago, and Sishen last week. Since it was a business trip I could not spend any length of time at either. The one farm I visited near Vredenburg, has a view of the Saldanha Iron Ore harbour. I will also include some pictures. It was the search for more info on the Sishen line that lead me to your forum. So thanks for the guys who share my interest and posted comments. I will also participate on that topic in due coarse.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Arno, have you seen this thread on the Sishen - Saldanha line?
http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 144&t=8546
Last edited by Steve Appleton on 04 Aug 2011, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected non-working link
fanie kleynhans

Post by fanie kleynhans »

Hi Arno, my layout is also constructed so it can be moved if needed. It is built on 4 tables bolted together, only problem if I have to move is I will have to cut through the tracks which I hope dont happen soon! Unfortunately I dont know anyone modeling the Sishen - Saldanha line but as John said please post pics, I would like to see how it develops.
arnocronje

Post by arnocronje »

Hi Fanie, nice meeting you. Since the oNeTrack concept has no circular tracks (which I have seen) I use 100mm straight tracks where the sections join, but it won't apply to your layout. I have a very busy work schedule for the next two weeks, but will post some photo's soon.
arnocronje

Post by arnocronje »

Hi John, I saw those photo's, they are very nice and taken at the right time of the year, no doubt. I took some photo's on my recent visit, but I am not sure how to upload them and what size. Do I add it at the "upload attachment" section just below this message?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Yes. When you click "Post Reply", under the main text box you'll see "Upload attachment". It contains a small window for you to upload the file (on my browser it says "Choose file" - it may be slightly different in different browsers, I'm not sure). Under that is a slightly larger window for a caption for the photo.

If you are uploading only one photo, you then click "Submit", as you would for any reply.

If you are uploading more than one, then click "Add the file" for each one up to the last. For the last one, click "Submit".

Please limit the photos to 130 K each. Please note that generally you can only post photos in the sections called "Photo gallery", not in the main discussion part of each section. This is so that our members who have slower internet connections can read discussions without having to wait for photos to load.

I'm about to repost this in FAQ at http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... =75&t=8582
arnocronje

Post by arnocronje »

Thanks very much John, thats very well explained.
Fidel Naidoo

Post by Fidel Naidoo »

Fanie, good day !!

I've been following this thread closely, and enjoy seeing your layout up and running. Thanks for the technical details on the lights in the previous post.

I know I promised to post photos of the SAR electric and diesel locos I've been modelling, but the the last few weeks have been spent getting my layout sorted, so I'll have to do some more work on them before I post.

For anyone reading this, I scoured the internet for photos of 6E's and 34 class diesels for reference for the N scale locomotives I wanted to build. I found that one photographer took immensely detailed photos that were excellent reference. I e-mailed him to thank him for the photos on railpictures, and tell about my modelling, and he directed to this forum. That was Fanie Kleynhans, who appears to be multi-skilled gentleman.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Fidel, welcome to the forum. We look forward to seeing photos of your own models in due course!
Fidel Naidoo

Post by Fidel Naidoo »

Thanks, John.......

I took a look at your Saldanah photos, that you linked from this thread. Nice !!
The combination of electric and diesel units is a strange one.... is that normal? Also, I assume the the 15E is a reconditioned 9E? You know, much like the 18E's are reconditioned 6E's....

I'll get around to making a 9E one day. ( Ya, could be years )...
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi Fidel,

The combination of diesel and electric on the iron ore line is normal, Eskom cannot provide enough power for the whole train to use electric power. The 15E is a totally new locomotive.
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Fidel Naidoo

Post by Fidel Naidoo »

Aidan, thanks.

That's quite sad. Back in 1980, I had a framed photograph of a triple headed 9E train of 2.3 kms in length. Times have changed.

Return to “N Scale Garage Layout Build”