New Zealand – South Island - Taieri Gorge from Dunedin to Middlemarch 2015-10-25 Part 1 of 2

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related to Australia and New Zealand! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Ian Roberts

New Zealand – South Island - Taieri Gorge from Dunedin to Middlemarch 2015-10-25 Part 1 of 2

Post by Ian Roberts »

The line from Dunedin to Middlemarch is one of the most scenic in New Zealand and is operated by Dunedin Railways, usually by diesel power, however on the 24th through 26th October Ab class 4-6-2 No. 608 Passchendaele also participated the running of trains.
We booked on the public excursion from Dunedin to Middlemarch and return on the Central Otago line through the Taieri Gorge on October 25th.
The train was 12 cars which is beyond the capacity of an Ab, the largest steam locomotive allowed on the branch, so diesel assistance was provided by Dj 1210 and Dj 1227 Mitsubishi Bo-Bo-Bo’s of 1968 vintage.
The loading gauge in New Zealand was only 11’6” high by 8’0” wide and on the branches the axle loading was only 10tons. This is the reason that New Zealand locos are so much smaller than South African locos of the same era.
Ab 608 is the first of the class built in 1915 and is also named Passchendaele as a memorial to the New Zealanders who gave their lives in WW1
The train left from Dunedin station, an Edwardian extravaganza of granite and terracotta. Pictures of the station and its well preserved interior follow
For departure the two diesels were placed ahead of the Ab, a requirement of Kiwi Rail who own the track as far Wingatui on the main Dunedin to Invercargill line and up to the Dunedin Airport on the branch. After that the line is owned by Dunedin Railways and at the next passing loop the diesels were moved to the rear of the train.
From Wingatui to Middlemarch a distance of about 40 miles, there are 10 tunnels and 23 viaducts on a ruling grade of 1 in 50.
Photography from the train was difficult with the auto focus which my aging vision requires sometimes focused on telegraph poles and trees rather than the loco heading the train.
The first stop was Hindon where a run by was carried out, however a disciplined photo line was impossible to maintain and most shots were obstructed.
Carrying on from Hindon the next shot was taken crossing the Flat Stream Viaduct and approaching a 25 km/hr. speed restriction before entering the next tunnel.

End of Part 1
Ian
Ian Roberts

Re: New Zealand – South Island - Taieri Gorge from Dunedin to Middlemarch 2015-10-25 Part 2 of 2

Post by Ian Roberts »

Part 2 of 2

In places as many as three viaducts and tunnels could be seen on the mountainside ahead
Arrival at Middlemarch was time to water and turn the Ab as well as switching the Dj’s to the rear of the train. The original steam facilities have been maintained for the occasional steam event, normal trains are diesel hauled.
On the return trip we crossed the regular train up bound to Pukerangi which is the end of the most scenic part of the trip.

A video of the Ab 608 in Otago is on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_UXgnXMlJA This is a compilation over several days of activity, the train I rode is shown from 6:27 to 18:25, although the whole video is good.
Ian
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: New Zealand – South Island - Taieri Gorge from Dunedin to Middlemarch 2015-10-25 Part 1 of 2

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Ian. I can't see the photos, just icons which say "Photo not found. Click for photos". When I click it doesn't do anything.
Ian Roberts

Re: New Zealand – South Island - Taieri Gorge from Dunedin to Middlemarch 2015-10-25 Part 1 of 2

Post by Ian Roberts »

I, too had the problem which wasn't there when I posted last night. I did post the same section as a separate thread this morning but now find both are up again. Let me know what you have and then I'll delete one or the other as appropriate.
Ian
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Ian. I can now see all the photos in both posts. Great photos!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: New Zealand – South Island - Taieri Gorge from Dunedin to Middlemarch 2015-10-25 Part 2 of 2

Post by John Ashworth »

Ian Roberts wrote:The original steam facilities have been maintained for the occasional steam event...
I wish more countries, South Africa included, would do the same!

Return to “Australia/New Zealand - Photo Gallery”