PRASA participates in state visit to China

Photos of any aspect of South African railways, including but not limited to locomotives and rolling stock, which now find themselves abroad, anywhere else in the world.
Jerome West

PRASA participates in state visit to China

Post by Jerome West »

Not sure where to place this but I am sure the admins will move to correct place. This is a continuation of the News article of http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 108&t=7469 but no images can be posted there so here has to do for now.

This is an extract of the newsletter that was sent to all staff of PRASA on the 1 September 2010

The PRASA Group CEO, Mr. Lucky Montana accompanied the Minister of Transport, Mr. Sibusiso Ndebele as part of President Zuma’s visit to the People’s Republic of China from 24 - 26 August 2010. The visit was aimed at strengthening the strategic partnership between South Africa and the People’s Republic of China. A number of important agreements were signed between various Chinese and South African companies, with the Minister of Transport signing two important agreements with his Chinese counterpart, Minister of Railways, Mr. Liu Zhijun on co-operation in the field of Transport and Rail Transport in particular.
China-1.jpg
China-1.jpg (54.66 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
China-2.jpg
China-2.jpg (52.5 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
China is making headways in modernising its transport systems, especially its rail transport system, with a number of high-speed rail projects completed and others still underway. China identified over 10 years ago the critical importance that transport plays in the development of a modern economy, by ensuring that many of its vast Provinces are linked by an integrated transport network. These agreements will ensure that South Africa and China share their experiences and also cooperate in the delivery of critical transport and rail projects.

The Group CEO participated in the China – South Africa Business Forum held in Beijing and addressed by President Zuma, and the Minister of Trade and Industry, Rob Davies and the Chinese Minister. This was an invaluable experience for the delegation.
China-3.jpg
China-3.jpg (60.93 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
The most important highlight of the State Visit for PRASA was the joint visit by the Group CEO and Wictra to CNR factories where railway coaches and specifically coaches for the high-speed rail are being built. The SA team experienced a great and warm welcome from both management and workers of the factory. The Group CEO was mostly impressed by the technology in these factories, quality control and safety in the production of railway coaches. The Group CEO said that “We are keen to work very closely with CNR and other railway players in efforts to modernise our own railway industry”.
Craig Duckham

Re: PRASA participates in state visit to China

Post by Craig Duckham »

great stuff Jerome. Interesting to see Wictra Holdings there. I have visited their shops before. The owner does have ambition.

Craig
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

And I wonder if they have ever been to Koedoespoort to see the wolrd-class facilities there that has produced hundreds of excellent quality coaches and locomotives... Probably too colonial
Luca Lategan...
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

What about Union Carriages at Nigel. Are they still not working
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

I think you have to recognise global trends, whether we like them or not. Britain used to have one of the largest railway manufacturing industries in the world, but now I think I'm right in saying that there are no manufacturers of mainline locomotives, multiple units or coaches in the country (although some vehicles are assembled there) - I'm excluding Tornado! There are relatively few manufacturers anywhere in the world, in fact, due to closures, buy-outs and mergers. So it is normal practice now for railway companies to source locomotives and coaches from the handful of European and north American manufacturers which still exist, plus, increasingly, from Japan and China. So while one can argue about the necessity for any particular rail project in South Africa, it is hardly surprising that South African government and rail authorities are doing what everybody else in the world is doing when it comes to new railway projects.

Edited to add: Which is actually nothing new as South Africa sourced many of its steam locomotives from UK and Germany.
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

We need the jobs!
Luca Lategan...
Geoff Pethick

Post by Geoff Pethick »

Two years ago I visited the Qingdao factory of China South Railways.

An incredibly impressive place turning out what looked top quality products. The complex has a dedicated test track around its periphery were they can run trains at up to 120kmph. They were building high speed trains, Beijing metro trains and had a rake of pressurised coaches for the railway to Tibet waiting for delivery.

WE had a very good trip on a high speed train, top speed 250Kmph, didn't quite see its top speed of 260. They were testing 300kmph units and were finalising production of 350kmph sets.

Frankly it makes Koedoespoort look like a Victorian cottage industry.

The workforce were incredibly proud of their factory, its products and the national railway system, very far from the doom and gloom we get locally. Having travelled on a overnight train from Beijing and the high speed train their pride is not misplaced.
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

One day they are pulling the plug on mainline trains the next day they are visiting China to look at train. I find that kind of ironic.
They should look at Hong Kong to see how a public transportation system works and actually do something instead of nodding their heads and enjoying the scenery.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops

Return to “South African Railways Abroad”