Konza train crossing - 1

Photos of Kenyan Diesel Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Konza train crossing - 1

Post by John Ashworth »

Konza is the junction between the Magadi branch line, operated by the Magadi Soda Company, and the main Mombasa-Nairobi line, operated by Rift Valley Railways.

It took me three hours to drive there, even though it is probably no more than 75 kms from Nairobi, due to heavy traffic in Nairobi and major roadworks on the Nairobi-Mombasa road which necessitated long detours on heavily corrugated dirt roads. I then couldn't find the dirt road turn off to Konza - there was no familiar Kenya Railways signpost - whether due to the roadworks or a new policy by RVR I don't know. I asked a few people and eventually a young man volunteered to get in the car and direct me. He took me down tracks whcih were no more than tyre tracks in the grass, but surprisingly smooth, for about 15 kms and there ahead of me was Konza Station. I suppose you'd hesitate to pick up a stranger in South Africa, but most of rural Africa is far more civilised, hospitable and trusting.

At the station I found a Mombasa-bound RVR train waiting to cross a Magadi-bound train. Assistant Station Master Robert (South Afircan equivalent would probably be Train Control Officer) and Driver Richard were extremely friendly and hospitable and, after I had introduced myself as a Train Assistant, we had a great old chat about the similarities (many) and differences (few) between Kenyan and South African railway operating procedures.

Konza has a loop which is signalled and controlled from the signal box. It also has a third road which leads to sidings and the Magadi junction, with hand operated points.

Photos by John Ashworth 5th June 2008
Attachments
Konza signal box
Konza signal box
IMG_0535s.JPG (115.47 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Interlocked lever frame in the signal box
Interlocked lever frame in the signal box
Assistant Station Master uses a key to operate the points into the third road.
Assistant Station Master uses a key to operate the points into the third road.
IMG_0537s.JPG (106.41 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Re: Konza train crossing - 1

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Hi John!

Find the signalbox and signal levers to be very interesting. Nice photo's and good article!

Thanks!
Gabor
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Re: Konza train crossing - 1

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Nice!

Return to “Kenya - Diesel Motive Power - Photo Gallery”