Brand new engines for Class 93/94

Photos of Kenyan Diesel Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Brand new engines for Class 93/94

Post by John Ashworth »

A pair of brand new engines for Class 93/94, straight out of their packing cases.

Photo by John Ashworth, Nairobi works, 13th February 2012
Attachments
engines_DSC00581.JPG
engines_DSC00581.JPG (99.8 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Brand new engines for Class 93/94

Post by John Ashworth »

I am reliably informed that these engines have now been fitted to 9308 and 9325, which have been painted in a new Kenya Railways livery to operate commuter trains to the new station at Syokimau. This is the first new station to be built in Kenya for decades, I believe. It is situated on the Mombasa Road and is what would probably be called "park and ride" in UK. It has a huge car park and is intended to serve people coming from Athi River side. The train will get them into Nairobi Station in 15-30 minutes, compared to an hour or more by road during rush hour. I think they intend to have a bus shuttle service from Syokimau to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport for the time being, but this line should eventually extend to the airport.

Nairobi Station is also being renovated, with a new platform canopy, and there are plans to evict the matatus (minibuses) which currently block the station car park.

I will try to get some photos.

Return to “Kenya - Diesel Motive Power - Photo Gallery”