FOTR Derailment

3117 had an accident on the 20th of June 2010 and as a result we have launched an appeal. Please post ANYTHING related to the incident, the recovery and the Appeal here! Photos (usual rules - 800 by 600 pixels, 135kb max) and docs can also be posted.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Re: FOTR Derailment

Post by Steve Appleton »

From the Chilean website of Richard Mancilla: http://www.trenesenlaweb.tk - Richard Mancilla M.
Un lamentable accidente acourrió ayer en SudAfrica. Mis amigos de del sitio "amigos del riel en Sudafrica" me enviaon este correo el cual les remito a Uds.
Una bellisima locomotora a vapor, propiedad de la asociación de conservación del patrimonio ferroviario de sudafrica se descarriló en las cercanias de Cullinan, debido a que aproximadamente 40 durmientes fueron presumiblemente robados. afortunadamente el convoy circulaba en esos momentos a baja velocidad. En el tren viajaban unos 627 personas, en su mayoria niños, los que no resultaron con lesiones. No se puede decir lo mismo de la locomotora.
Saludos
http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 106&t=7131
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translated roughly this reads.....

About an unfortunate accident yesterday in South Africa.

My friends site "Friends of the Rail in South Africa" sent me this email which I refer to.

A beautiful steam locomotive owned by the Heritage Conservation Association of South Africa railway derailed in the vicinity of Cullinan, since about 40 sleepers were presumably stolen. Fortunately the train was traveling at that time at low speed. On the train were about 627 people, mostly children, who were not injured. Can not say the same of the locomotive.
Regards

KRWS
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

From Johannesburg's City Press:
Police probe sleeper theft behind train derailment
2010-06-21 14:11

Police are probing the theft of railway sleepers which led to the derailment of a train with 627 people on board outside Cullinan.

No arrests had been made, said Lieutenant-Colonel Eugene Opperman. It was not clear when the sleepers were stolen, he said.

The steam locomotive, owned and operated by a private operator Friends of Rail, derailed 800m from the Cullinan railway station yesterday afternoon, landing on its side.

No-one was injured.

Cullinan would have been the train’s final stop before it returned to Pretoria. Yesterday, the Railway Safety Regulator said it had also initiated an investigation. It said the train used a branch line and normal commuter operations had not been affected.

- SAPA
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Message from Ian Roberts:
Steve, this is very bad news from South Africa.

I cannot think of anything sufficiently politically correct to describe this thieving and its consequences.

Fortunately no serious injuries, however the potential was there without a doubt.

No doubt the furniture purchasers have already sent you a fat cheque.

I hope the damage to the local is easily repairable, steam locos are a resilient breed.

Best wishes

Ian Roberts
Sugar Land, TX
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Sent: 21 Junie 2010 01:28 AM
To: sales@friendsoftherail.com
Subject: DE-RAILED TRAIN OUTSIDE CULLINAN

Dear Friends

I was a passenger on yesterday's de-railed train outside Cullinan and would like to record my special thanks to the Train Driver Mr. Frik Boshoff and the staff of Friends of the Rail for the handling of the incident and especially the safety of the all the passengers. I pray the culprits will be apprehended, brought to book and charged accordingly. Lots of Love Wendy Dudley
Sent: 21 Junie 2010 02:01 AM
To: Friends of the Rail
Subject: Father's Day Trip

Dear Arno

I would just like to express how very sorry I am that we were not able to complete our trip. It started out as a wonderful day and I would like to thank you and your team for a very memorable father’s day despite the derailment. I truly hope that you will be able to selvage the engine as she is a magnificent machine who deserves the respect she has earned.

There were no serious injuries and that was a blessing in itself.

I wish you and your team all the very best and please keep us informed when you are back up and running again.

All the very best

Laura van Wyk and family
Sent: 22 Junie 2010 01:28 PM
To: 'Friends of the Rail'
Subject: SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE ACCIDENT..

Really sad to see the front page of the Beeld today.

People suck ! That is just horrid.. don't they think of their actions and
the consequences.

I hope it won't set you guys back too much !

Keep up your good work.

Hugs,

Mich
Sent: 21 Junie 2010 02:51 AM
To: Friends of the Rail
Subject: Fathers Day Train Trip: 20 June 2010

Hallo Arno,

Our family was on the train yesterday to Cullinan, when the unfortunate incident occurred.

I would like to extend a sincere word of thanks and gratitude to you and other officials of the FOTR organisation, who tried their utmost best to accommodate all the people on the train after the accident. It is in times like these when one can see what value you have in the people working for you. I would specifically like to say thank you to Mr Henry Lazenby, who did all he can to give relevant information to passengers, display sincere empathy with all, and to try and assist some passengers who were in distress.

Although having gone through this ordeal, I would like to say that it was great to see how your officials handled the situation, and above all also arrange for alternative transport by bus back to Pretoria. This was in no ways easy, as I am fully aware of the fact that bus services are at this time inundated with the 2010WC. I must commend you on this! Great work.

At the end of the day, your personnel, in part and the Grace of God, made it possible for me to enjoy a fantastic Father’s Day with my loved ones.

Thanks you so much for this!

regards
Sent: 21 Junie 2010 02:05 AM
To: sales@friendsoftherail.com
Subject: Train trip 20th June

Re: Nathan Bradley and family

Coach 8 Seat No 1 to 5

We were aboard the train yesterday when the accident happened and we are very sorry that your train and the crew were put through this ordeal. We were heartsore to see the locomotive laying on its side – what can one say about these idiots that caused this to happen? We can only thank the Lord that nobody was hurt and that if it had to happen then the place was the right one as had it been a little further back on the track where the slope is quite steep the story could have been completely different.

We would like to thank your crew who dealt with this accident so professionally. They came along and confirmed there were no injuries to passengers as they passed along the track to see to the driver and his mate. We were instructed as to what to do and they kept everyone calm. This was extremely important as there was a large number of children on the train. Very well done to them and well done too to the person or persons responsible for arranging the buses so quickly to take us home.

We do hope that there is no serious damage to the train itself and that the crew are well. We look forward to making another trip on the train in the near future and enjoy a complete round trip next time I’m sure.

Once again, well done to everyone

Alwynne Bradley

Mother of Nathan Bradley

Grannie to Kian and Oliver who are excited to have quite a tale to tell their school friends today and who thought they were quite intrepid to experience a train crash!
Hi Arno

Just a note to say we were impressed in the way your team handled the
accident on Sunday. Our family still had a great outing and are real sorry
for FOTR - I am sure this will be a set back to you, but do hope you are
back on "track" again soon.

Dave
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Sent 21/06/10

Dear Kevin,

Sorry to hear about the accident this morning.

Last time we went on the train we had a great time and look forward to another trip hopefully soon?

Hope the engine is fixable.

Please give my best wishes to everyone at FOTR and keep up the good work!

Mark S
Kevin,

Heard about the accident this morning.

Sad news, but good no one was hurt.

Hopefully not too much damage was done and FOTR will bounce back.

All the best to everyone……

Jill
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Sent: 21 June 2010 09:50 PM
To: Nathan Berelowitz
Subject: Cullinan Derailment

Nathan

Firstly, let me say how relieved I am that no-one was hurt yesterday. But it then makes me want to weep not only for you guys who put so much into preservation but also for the depravity that parts of society have sunk to that this sort of thing can happen.

On the practicalities, I am sure that lifting it has not been that easy given the location. I hope that the damage is only superficial and that 3117 will be back and running again soon. Who takes liability for the damage - TFR ?? It looks like the LH boiler feed got ripped off - I hope there was no firebox damage.

Give my good wishes to all at FOTR - you have my support as always.

Kind Regards
John
Sent: 21 June 2010 09:29 PM
To: trainman@friendsoftherail.com
Cc: Nathan Berelowitz
Subject: Derailment

Nathan

I was very sorry to hear about the accident at Cullinan.

Things like this leave one speechless.

The Schanknechts would like to encourage you to keep going and never give up on Friends of the Rail.

Your Club is an example to all and we trust you will overcome this hurdle and get everything ship-shape again as soon as possible.

Regards from Zambia.

Andrew Schanknecht
paul stratford
to John Ashworth <ashworth.john@gmail.com>
date 21 June 2010 23:58
subject Cullinan derailment

John

I have just seen the pics of the derailed 15F at Cullinan, unbelieveable, I hope that no-one was injured and that the 15F did not sustain any serious damage.

I hope that the mindless culprits are found and suitably punished.

Paul
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi Guys,

Terrible to see the pictures of 3117 on her side and thanks to the proffessional operating of FOTR that nobody was injured. I wish everybody at FOTR all the best and hopefully 3117 will soon be back on the road.

Best wishes
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Another news report from IOL

CLICK HERE to view article.
'We just heard a bang'
By Lesego Masemola

It will be some time before the steam locomotive operated by private company, Friends of the Rail, gets back on track after it derailed in Cullinan at the weekend.

The train derailed on a sharp curve in a cutting a few metres before Cullinan station while ferrying 627 passengers who were on an annual Father's Day excursion from Hermanstad to Cullinan.

Engineers were hard at work yesterday assessing damage and ways in which to move the locomotive back to its headquarters for repairs.

According to the company's chairman, Nathan Berelowitz, it would be difficult to estimate the cost of repairs as the locomotive was old and repairing it would be a lengthy process.

The locomotive was hauling 11 coaches when the incident happened at about 11am on Sunday.

No one was injured, but a lot of damage was caused to the locomotive.

The accident was caused by missing sleepers which had apparently been stolen.

Berelowitz was one of the passengers on the train.

"We just heard a bang. It happened so fast and unexpectedly. It was a big shock and I am grateful that we were not travelling at speed, otherwise it could have been another story.

"The driver did try to apply the brakes but he could not avoid the unfortunate incident.

"It's a miracle that no one was hurt and a miracle that we were travelling so slowly at the time," he said.

Berelowitz said it was the first time that such an incident had happened, although he was aware of the common theft of sleepers.

"Unfortunately, people take those pieces of wood to make furniture.

"This incident did not take place due to negligence or anything of that sort.

"The train has been running for the past two years and we have never had a problem," he said.

"We have had to cancel the Cullinan train scheduled to run using one of our other locos on June 27.

"But rest assured, we are determined that the apparent criminal act that lead to this incident will not set us back.

"We plan to be back soon, bringing preserved heritage steam to you as soon as we are able to.

"Although badly damaged, we believe our loco will be repairable," Berelowitz said.

Asked how common sleeper theft was, Transnet Freight Rail's Mike Asefovitz said sleeper theft was not common and the incident was an isolated one.

Asefovitz said cable theft was more of a challenge than sleeper theft.

The locomotive is expected to be removed by Wednesday.

The company will be using two other locomotives to ferry visitors to Cullinan, although the service has had to be put on hold temporarily.

This article was originally published on page 6 of Cape Times on June 22, 2010

SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Peter Haynes

Post by Peter Haynes »

Sorry to hear about the derailment and damage caused to the engine through sleepers being removed by thieves. Life must be cheap for the grubs that did this, hopefully they will get caught. Glad to hear there was no major injuries, given the angle of the engine and the apparent sheared clack valve, those on the engine were lucky. Good luck and best wishes, Peter Haynes, Australia..
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Hi Steve,
I was so saddened to learn of the very unfortunate accident that happened to FotR. I wish you all well during this difficult time and hope that you can keep the wheels rolling without too much difficulty. Please pass on my best wishes to Nathan and Chris and the rest of your hard working team.

Please shout if you need anything and we will see if we [Reefsteamers] can help out!
Warmest regards,
Shaun Ackerman
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Date: Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:29 AM
Subject: [Fwd: Fw: Fwd: FW: Derailment]
To: Chris Janisch <janisch24@gmail.com>

Dear Chris,
So sorry to hear of this tragedy; thankfully no one injured. Hope the damage to 3117 isn't too severe. Does this effect F.O.R. re future tours?
Hopefully something can be done to stop these idiots!!
Our best wishes and prayers are with you.
Dennis
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

May I add my condolences to FOTR in this difficult time. This is shocking news for the whole preservation community. As previously said, we can be extremely grateful that no one was hurt and that FOTR can in no way be blamed. What a shame that your beautiful locomotive should follow this fate.

May FOTR come out bigger and better from this ordeal and happily steam into the future!
Luca Lategan...
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

As can be seen from other threads in this forum, 3117 arrived home at Capital Park late yesterday afternoon (Tuesday 22 June 2010). She can now be properly assessed for damage, and hopefully repairs can begin soon. Pictures of the damage have been posted.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

To Chairman and members of Friends of the Rail
From Cullinan Tourism and History
Date 22 June 2010

On behalf of Cullinan Tourism and History we would like to share with you our devastation of the events on Sunday when your train was derailed.

We, like you probably realize that it could have been much worse in the terms of injuries. We also hope that the police apprehend the people behind the theft of the railway sleepers.

Of course this will not help you with the repairs to your steam train and hope for your sake that the damage is not as great as feared.

Your organization is of great help to our village in terms of the amount of tourists that you bring to our village, which in turn means employment for our local population.

I am sure that I speak for all the business people and the Heritage Society that it would be a sad day if the line was closed and we back you one hundred percent, to get you back on “track”.

If at any time you would like us to make representations to any official body please feel free to contact us.

Yours truly

Cullinan Tourism and History
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Date: Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:26 AM
Subject: Fathers Day
To: janisch24@gmail.com

We were dismayed to learn of the derailment of your train the other day. Although we are a very long way away we know how much time and effort is put in to operating heritage trains these days , and have had many memorable trips in South Africa over the years. So special thoughts and good wishes from York to Nathan and everyone at FOTR. We share your relief that there were no significant injuries and lets hope those responsible for the theft of the sleepers are caught.

All best wishes from us in the UK.

Rob and Janette ( Tibbits )

Return to “FOTR - 3117 15F Accident and Appeal”