5. N Scale bedroom Layout - second rail ring

A Forum that is covering a build of a South African N Gauge layout by Fidel Naidoo.
Fidel Naidoo

5. N Scale bedroom Layout - second rail ring

Post by Fidel Naidoo »

I hope it was a happy festive season for all!!

I got an entire box of Peco flexible track from Father Christmas. A most welcome gift.
The biggest lesson I have learnt from this exercise so far, is that you mustn't be scared to pull down what isn't working, which I have done several times on the layout. Every single one of my rolling stock must be able to travel on every part of the layout.
I've also learnt that I can't do without a Dremel, and fierce skills of soldering rail.

But I don't have a clue how to make photos smaller without them pixellating and loosing detail.
Anyone got advice?
The bridge is gone. I had to smooth out curves still even further, and cut the polystyrene risers away to flatten their curvature, and lost the adhoc bridge in the process.<br />Obviously, the start of the riser had to be pulled forward to keep the grade steady.
The bridge is gone. I had to smooth out curves still even further, and cut the polystyrene risers away to flatten their curvature, and lost the adhoc bridge in the process.
Obviously, the start of the riser had to be pulled forward to keep the grade steady.
q3.jpg (160.05 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
The switchwork and de-couplers for the rural station are done.<br />Just have to wait a few weeks to get funds for some more point motors.
The switchwork and de-couplers for the rural station are done.
Just have to wait a few weeks to get funds for some more point motors.
q1.jpg (191.32 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
The difficult locomotives are kept on standby now, both 4-8-4's, to test all joins and curves.
The difficult locomotives are kept on standby now, both 4-8-4's, to test all joins and curves.
q2.jpg (194.83 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
and the block control unit is working exceptionally well. I can't wait to be in a position to engineer semaphores into the equation.
and the block control unit is working exceptionally well. I can't wait to be in a position to engineer semaphores into the equation.
q4.jpg (198.6 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
arnocronje

Re: N Scale bedroom Layout - second rail ring

Post by arnocronje »

Hi Fidel, not sure how you resize your pictures, but with my limited knowledge it will be hard to resize without losing detail when you zoom. I always resize to "web large". Suggest if someone needs full size pictures, they can e-mail you and you can send it seperately. Good job on the layout. regards Arno
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Fidel,

What are you using to resize your pictures?
Fidel Naidoo

Post by Fidel Naidoo »

Arno,Thanks. This forum has a very strict 200kb limit on posted pictures, so I reckon that 'Web Large' may exceed that.

Kevin, I use my girlfriend's latest model Samsung camera, with something like 14 million pixels. The smallest I can set on the camera is 1024 X 768, but still much more cropping and resizing has to happen. I resize in Windows paint, and save as JPG. Do you reckon a different package like photoshop would work better?
Kevin Wilson-Smith

If you have something like Photoshop already, yes.

First reduce size - use the pixel option eg 800 by 600. There are different reduction parameters in terms of pixel handling - try each one.

Then edit and save. The packages will let you save to a maximum of in k.

If you do not have a program you can try the Gimp (free) or go out and get Paint Shop PRO - Incredible Connection or buy off the Internet - R 799.00. Highly reccomended, easy to use and powerful.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

I run Linux on my computer so I use the Gimp and I find it very good.
Fidel Naidoo

Post by Fidel Naidoo »

Kevin,

Thanks. I got Gimp now, and I'll see how it works the next time I take photos.
arnocronje

Post by arnocronje »

hi fidel, I see you got plenty advise on the resizing of the photo's, so I am sure you will find the best solution. For what it is worth, the one that I am using is simply MS Office 2010. Right click on the photo and choose the option to open with "MS Office", which then allows you to easily resize. Cheers, Arno
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Arno - a good tip there. Thanks.

Return to “N Scale Entire Bedroom Layout”