Help with a signal please

Ask a real train driver or fireman questions about how engines work, railways operate or anything else. If we do not know the answer, we will find out!
Richard Hill

Help with a signal please

Post by Richard Hill »

I am trying to learn as much as possible (from scratch) about the South African rail network but I am having difficulty finding information on the signals. I am constructing a SA layout in Trainz Railway Simulator and my question refers to this signal from the simulator:
RSAsignal3.jpg
RSAsignal3.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
This signal can display the following four indications:
stop - two horizontal red lights on panel B
proceed on main route - two diagonal green lights on panel A
proceed with caution on right diverging route - three yellow lights on arm D
proceed on (the same) right diverging route - three yellow lights on arm C
(there is no display for proceed with caution on main route)

My particular concern is the last two as the British signals I am familiar with use different arms (or "feathers") for different diverging routes rather than different indications for a single diverging route as above, so I am wondering if this signal has been set up correctly.

I would be very grateful if someone could confirm whether or not the behaviour described above is correct.
Thank you
RSAsignal3.jpg
RSAsignal3.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Re: Help with a signal please

Post by Steve Appleton »

Richard, The aspects you describe are definately not part of SA signal practice. Whilst SA does use rows of white lights to indicate route direction to the driver, the other aspects you give are incorrect.
Stop Signal1.jpg
Stop Signal1.jpg (6.92 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
SA uses two-, three- and four-aspect colour light signals. The majority of "stop" signals in use display one of three aspects: "danger" (a single red light), "caution" (a single yellow light) and "clear" (a single green light). Where the stop signal reads over (protects) one or more sets of facing points, a "direction" or "route" indicator is also usually provided. This comprises at least two rows of three or four white lights (called a "feather" in the UK, but not here). To indicate straight ahead, a vertical row is lit. The first diverging direction or route to the the left or right is shown as a similar row of lights set at 45 deg on the left or right as the case may be. Each additional diverging route is shown as an additional row of lights at 90 deg, 135 deg, etc, to the left or right of the vertical row. Thus a signal that reads over three diverging routes (could be parallel tracks) will have lights in a vertical row, and rows at 45, 90 and 135 deg. So, a row of lights lit at 90 deg left does not mean "sharper left turn" but actually means "you will be taking the second route or road left".

If the track ahead is clear and the route is set for straight ahead, a vertical row of lights will be shown on the direction indicator together with a green aspect on the main signal. (The UK does not use a vertical feather so far as I am aware).

If the track ahead is clear, but you will be turning out onto the first road left, then the row of lights at 45 deg left will be lit on the direction indicator and the main signal will display a "caution" aspect (yellow). If the route is onto the second road left, then the row of lights at 90 deg will be lit together with a caution aspect and so on.

A "danger" aspect (stop) is displayed as a single red light and the direction indicator will not be lit. In the event that the main stop signal displays either a danger or a caution aspect then a warning signal in the rear will also display a "caution" aspect.

Where the distance between signals is large (ie long sections or blocks) some way before the stop signal, a warning signal is installed (there are some exceptions, e.g. on branch lines, where distance boards are fitted instead). The warning signal will take the form of a two-aspect signal showing only "clear" (green) aspect if the main signal is also clear (green) or "caution" (yellow) aspect if the main signal is at "danger" (red for stop) or "caution" (yellow). The warning signal is identified to the driver by a white small recangular board with a black diagonal line thorugh it, fitted below the signal head. Obviously, no route or direction indicator is fitted to a warning signal. In areas where the block length is short (usually in urban areas) there will be no warning signal as such, but the previous stop signal will be capable of displaying a yellow aspect, one function of which is to warn that the next signal may be set to a "danger" aspect.

There are places where signals with more than three aspects are used, principally in some urban areas (eg Pretoria to Germiston) and where high-speed running is permitted and the signal spacing is very close togther. I won't describe those here.

Most "stop" signals also have a another panel located a little below the main signal head. This is used to allow trains into lines that are occupied (or to allow shunting back on the wrong line). This is known as a "one position shunt signal". This comprises two smaller white lights mounted at an angle of about 45 deg. This signal is only lit to admit a train into an occupied or obstructed track. When the shunt signal is "operated" the two white lights are lit. The direction or route indicator will be lit as per normal but the main signal will always still be set to danger. Note the diagonal angle of the shunt signal (whether the lights slope left to right or right to left) may depend on which way the next turn out is facing.

Below the shunt signal a blue lighti s often mounted, used as an "emergency" aspect. This is lit when the main signal cannot be cleared for some reason. This authorises the driver to pass the signal under a strict set of conditions; essentially to check that the route is set correctly and to drive "on sight" to the next signal, prepared to stop short of any obstruction.

Hope this helps.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

BTW, Richard, I see this is your first posting to the forum. Welcome and enjoy. I hope we will see many more posts from you.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Thanks Steve for a clear explaination. That helped me as well!
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Hi Richard,

Steve A pipped me to the post, so if I may, here is my reply . . .

As you may probably already aware, South African Railways signalling in general is a derivative of basic British railway signalling practice.

As a member of FotR’s footplate staff, I always my have training manuals close at hand, and when there is time, I often do “some” reading to keep abreast with all the rules and regulations. For replying purposes I have used my books and notes in an attempted to reply in a simplified manner, with out going into too much detail.

To my fellow footplate staff members please note, my reply is simplified and I have used my own wording to avoid having to type out the entire handbook covering that which covers signalling and other railway practices - so please don’t take this reply as “gospel”!

Today, we have many forms of signalling that is in use on our national network, namely and for reply purposes I am going go to mention two, namely;
Semaphore signalling (will not be responding to this item as it is currently being phased out).
Colour light signalling, which can be sub-divided into three distinct categories, namely;
Colour light signalling, multi-aspect signalling, and position light shunt signals (Will only respond to position light shunt signals, if requested).

First, let us look at Colour Light Signals.

Colour light signals are those signals that are “fixed”, and can only display one aspect at a time on the main signal “cluster”.
The main signal “cluster” consists either of a;
Multi-Colour Single lens aspect signal (or otherwise known as search light signals) or,
Two and three aspect signals, which are used primarily on uni and bi-directional running lines.
Where a signal provides protection for one or more sets of points, this “fixed” signal needs to be provided with a “Route Indicator”. (Description and basic definition of a “Route Indicator” to follow latter).

Colour Light Signals - Aspect Definitions:
RED – Danger Stop.
YELLOW (with or without “main line” Route Indication) – Proceed, but be prepared to stop at the next signal, unless the next signal is at a proceed aspect.
YELLOW (with diverging Route Indication) - Proceed, but be prepared to stop at the next signal unless the next signal is at a proceed aspect. The Route Indicator is used to indicate to the driver of the train is expected to traverse one or more lower speed points.
GREEN (with or without “main line” Route Indication) – Proceed, the next signal displays a proceed aspect.

These types of Colour light signals are mainly controlled by Signal Cabins, but not exclusively, as CTC offices in certain cases during an upgrading period do take control over these signals for a short period, from a closed signal cabin, until such time as that these signals get replaced with multi-aspect signalling.

As an example, when a few years back the section from Westbury to Johannesburg stations and further east from Johannesburg to George Gogh were included to the newly constructed and extended George Gogh CTC office, and signal cabins like Johannesburg, Braamfontein, Langlaagte were all closed. This conversion has now allowed for multi bi-directional running lines on this particular section. Many of these signals having been already or are still in the process of being changed or replaced to multi-aspect signalling.
(See attached photo labelled FLORIDA UP HOME SIGNAL)

Multi-aspect Signals.

Multi-aspect signals in basic are “fixed” signals that can display one or more signals at a time, and gives the driver further indication of aspect on the second signal in advance, thus as an example – a driver would get a double-yellow aspect. These signals are solely used on multi bi-directional lines.

Where a signal provides protection for one or more sets of points, this “fixed” signal needs to be provided with a “Direction Indicator”. (Description and basic definition of a “Route Indicator” to follow latter).

Multi-aspect Signals - Aspect Definitions
RED – Danger Stop.

YELLOW (with or without “main line” Direction Indication) –
Proceed, but be prepared to stop at the next signal, unless the next signal is at a proceed aspect.

YELLOW (mainline Direction Indication, or, with or without diverging Direction Indication) –
Proceed, but be prepared to stop at the next signal unless the next signal is at a proceed aspect. The Route Indicator is used to indicate to the driver of the train is expected to traverse one or more lower speed points.

DOUBLE YELLOW - (mainline Direction Indication, or, with or without Direction Indication) –
Proceed at the correct speed for the train concerned to turn out or in over one or more lower speed points, the next signal displays a proceed aspect.

DOUBLE YELLOW IN CONJUNCTION WITH A WHITE LIGHT OR IN CERTAIN CASES GREEN AND YELLOW IN CONJUNCTION WITH A WHITE LIGHT (mainline Direction Indication, or, with or without Direction Indication) –
Proceed at the correct speed for the train concerned to turn out or in over one or more lower speed points or higher speed points as the case maybe, beyond the next signal. Be ready to stop at the second signal in advance, situated at less than stopping distance beyond the next signal.

SINGLE YELLOW IN CONJUNCTION WITH A WHITE LIGHT OR IN CERTAIN CASES SINGLE GREEN IN CONJUNCTION WITH A WHITE LIGHT (without Direction Indication) –

Proceed, but be ready to stop at the second signal in advance, situated at less than stopping distance beyond the next signal.

GREEN (with or without “mainline” Direction Indication only) –
Proceed, the next signal is at a proceed aspect.

RED ABOVE YELLOW (with or without Direction Indication) –
Proceed – the train is being admitted into a Goods Yard or Goods Siding.

RED ABOVE BLUE (without Direction Indication) – “proceed” in such a manner that the may be stopped within sight distance of points where provided, and check all points are correctly set for the required route. Track circuits may be faulty and the line ahead may be occupied.
(See attached scanned photo labelled – Multi Aspect Signal)

In certain cases, as provided in either or both General Appendix or Local Appendix, Colour Light Signals, with Route Indicator/s where required, may be used in a CTC area. A good example here is all the signals at Panpoort and Rayton Station

Multi-aspect signals are purely controlled by CTC offices over large sections of track, and as a good example, the Pienaarspoort to Witbank section, which covers 116Km’s between the two places.

Now let us quickly look at Route Indicator and Direction Indicator.

Route Indicator
Works in conjunction with the main Colour light signal, and shows the exact route to where the train is routed, ie. Main-line, or first, or second diverging route.
A route indicator consists of 4 white lights, radiating from the centre of octagon route indicator to its’ arms. The centre white light is common to all the signalled routes as indicated on the route indicator!

A route indicator can also be an illuminated letter/s or number/s or a combination of both. Another form of a route indicator is an illuminated arrow

Interestingly, should all the white lights on a Route Indicator fail, for a particular signalled route, then the main signal will remain at danger, and the driver of the train will have to request an Authority to “Pass a Signal at Danger”.
(See attached scanned photo labelled - Route Indicators 1 & 2)

Direction Indicator.
Here again, the Direction Indicator works in conjunction with the main signal, and indicates whether or not the route will include a turnout over a facing points. If the route included more than one turnout, then only the first turnout will be indicated.

Directions Indicators consist of only 3 white lights, radiating from the outer area of octagon route indicator to its’ arms. The arms either can be on their own, or can be two or more for route combinations as required for signalling purposes. They can only display one route at a time.
(See attached scanned photo labelled – Direction Indicators)
Attachments
Different Route Indicators #2
Different Route Indicators #2
Different Route Indicators #1
Different Route Indicators #1
This is Florida's colour light Home signal, a good example there of, with Route Indicatir, and a two-position light shunt signal. Note the three routes, each to a platform line, as Florida is a three platform station.
This is Florida's colour light Home signal, a good example there of, with Route Indicatir, and a two-position light shunt signal. Note the three routes, each to a platform line, as Florida is a three platform station.
FLORIDA UP HOME SIGNAL.jpg (139.71 KiB) Viewed 3787 times
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Gabbie, thanks and well done! Books to hand and a perfectionist to the core!
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Incidently Gabbie, the pic you have posted also shows a two-position light shunt signal in the background just right of the right hand line, visible behind the electrical cabinet. This signal will control shunting movements backward from that point, taking place on the right hand or "wrong line" (South Africa generally uses left-hand running). The shunt signal as is normal is showing two white lights in a horizontal "danger" aspect.
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

unable to edit my previous posting, so I continue . . .
Attachments
Multi Aspect Signal
Multi Aspect Signal
Direction Indicators
Direction Indicators
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Some pictures:
Attachments
Direction indicator showing straight ahead
Direction indicator showing straight ahead
direction-indicator2.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
Direction indicater showing turn out right, note signal at "caution"
Direction indicater showing turn out right, note signal at "caution"
direction-indicator.jpg (23.04 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
Warning signal
Warning signal
warning_signal.jpg (25.38 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Stop signal at "Caution" with route set to the left
Stop signal at "Caution" with route set to the left
stop_signal3.jpg (75.19 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
Stop signal at "Danger"
Stop signal at "Danger"
stop_signal2.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Richard Hill

Post by Richard Hill »

Steve and Gabbie
Thank you so much for your explanations. Clearly a thumbs-down for my signal! - but I now have the information I need to make my own and I am truly grateful to you both for your comprehensive answers.
Thank you for your welcome, Steve - I will, no doubt, pop up again with more questions. I am using the Vidrail dvds "Twin Steel through Southern Africa" as my main source of information - which is great but you don't get to see many signals.
Thanks once again
Richard

Steve - one further question. The shunt signal you point out in Gabbie's photo - I assume the proceed aspect is two white lights at 45degrees?
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Richard wrote;
The shunt signal you point out in Gabbie's photo - I assume the proceed aspect is two white lights at 45degrees?
Richard you are almost correct in this instance. the signal actually indicates "caution" at 45°, and can be used for shunting purposes, admittance of a train onto an occupied line (in other words a "calling-on signal"), and the driver must be ready to stop short of any obstruction or comply with the given "danger" hand signal.
A 45° signal on a two-postion light shunt signal attached to the same post of a main signal, can also be used when the main signal is defective for train movements, however, this also indication also indicates that the CTC officer may wish to communicate with the driver, by placing the two-position shunt signal at "caution", once the train is stationary at a defective fixed signal.

There are also other, and in fewer instances where the two-position light shunt signal, if configured correctly, can also display a "90°" signal. which means "proceed", and the driver may proceed past a two-position shunt signal, without recieving the necessary hand-signal or oral instruction. To my knowledge there are only three such signals in the confines of Johannesburg station signalled area.

Hope that helps as well!
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

added attachment for Two-position light shunt signal
Attachments
Two position light shunt signal
Two position light shunt signal
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Two position light shunt signal is displaying a "danger" aspect, and can aslo display a "caution" aspect
Attachments
Two position light shunt signal - ground
Two position light shunt signal - ground
Two position light shunt signal - ground.jpg (151.51 KiB) Viewed 3720 times
Richard Hill

Post by Richard Hill »

Another signal to build! That's great. Thank you.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Hi Richard, when building the signals, to be completely accurate please be aware that for those signals that use an "L"-shaped lens layout (for example the one pictured at Rayton, RAY 252) that the layout is horizontally flipped when the signal is located on the right side of the track. This is so as to place the green and yellow lights immediately alongside the referenced track. Note that in SA, signals are generally (but not universally) placed on the left or on a gantry directly over the track. However where there is bi-directionally signalled double-line, the signals for the right track will usually be placed on the right (outside) side, not between the tracks. Where there are multiple lines, the signals are often placed on a gantry over the tracks.
Below is an example on the 4-track section north of Pretoria with an FOTR train on the "down" TFR line just south of Wonderboom station. The running lines are arranged l-to-r, down metro, up metro, down TFR, up TFR (hidden). Note the 3-aspect signal left of down Metro line and the one for the down TFR line located on the gantry above and just left of the line (to clear the wires).
Stop signal on gantry
Stop signal on gantry
gantry_signal.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
Below are a couple more variations for you to build. They are signals with a separate aspect to control entrance to a goods yard or sidings. The first picture is of the signal controlling entrance to the Capital Park goods yard from the old Capital Park loco depot. Being dedicated to the yard, the main signal head is never required to display any aspect other than "danger" and hence only has a single red lens. There is however a separate lens located down the post which will display a yellow light to permit the driver to pass the signal at danger to enter the goods yard. In this picture the locos have passed the signal overlap and it has thus been reset to danger. A route indicator comprising two rectangular boxes with fixed legends in them, mounted side-by-side, is located just below the main signal lens. One of these would have been illuminated in conjunction with the yellow entry lens to indicate the route that will be taken into the yard.
Entry into Capital Park goods yard
Entry into Capital Park goods yard
yard_entry_cpk.jpg (72.29 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
The next signal is located just beyond the Witbank station platform (east end) on the bi-directionally signalled "down" line. Besides being a section entry signal for the main line, it also permits access into the goods yard and loco depot that is located to the far left of the running lines. Note that whilst the main signal remains at danger, the yellow "goods or siding" signal is illuminated together with the route into the goods yard and loco depot. This will allow the driver to pass the signal and enter the yard. Note that the first route left (45 deg) would be for a crossover onto the "up" main line. Of additional interest is the signal for the line on the right. This signal has a route indicator comprising two illuminated boxes mounted above it. The signal has only two aspects and is thus not able to display a green aspect. This is because, straight ahead the line terminates in a bunch of sidings, obviously necessitating a no less restrictive aspect than "caution". The other alternative route is over a turn-out to the left which also requires a "caution" aspect.
Entry into Witbank goods yard
Entry into Witbank goods yard
yard_entry_witbank.jpg (53.04 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
Last edited by Steve Appleton on 08 Jun 2009, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected g+s signal to yellow, not white

Return to “Railway Operations - ask a question about how railways work..”