Turning Balloon

Ask a real train driver or fireman questions about how engines work, railways operate or anything else. If we do not know the answer, we will find out!
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Re: Turning Balloon

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Do not ask me! Have not the foggiest............ There are trucks all over the place. Why???? Dunno.
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

Interesting discussion. In the States a triangle is called a 'Y'.
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi,

Read an article this morning in the Engineering news, that gave the following statistics for Eskom coal haulage 74% over dedicated conveyors, 22% road and only 4% by rail. The reason for the high road percentage is the requirement to purchase coal from mines that don't have rail links for delivery and Majuba powerstation is the only power station that has rail off-loading faclities. They did not give the total tonnage but 22% must translate into a lot of trucks.

Cheers

Aidan
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Aiden - 22% is a lot of trucks! Witness all the Witbank road traffic!

Past Heidelburg there is a power station - Grootvlei - used t be on the line. See...

http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... =146&t=710

With the loss of the line and reopening of the power station its back to road.

I wonder if this happened to any other formerly mothballed power stations. Anyone know of any more? 4% now is a really low figure and this cannot have been the figure in the past.
Christopher King

Post by Christopher King »

Another yard that had a baloon was midlandia just south of Noupoort. It brough all goods trains into the yard facing in the same direction.
We had one in Australia on the Beech forest line but that is another story.

Return to “Railway Operations - ask a question about how railways work..”