Turning Triangle Leeu Gamka

Ask a real train driver or fireman questions about how engines work, railways operate or anything else. If we do not know the answer, we will find out!
Christopher King

Turning Triangle Leeu Gamka

Post by Christopher King »

I saw the turning triangle at Leeeu Gamka in2008 during my last vist. It is still there. Surpisng!
My time at Leeu Gamka in 1960 I was told that it was only usd to turn the Touws river goods loco. I did see a %E turned there with the same goods in1960. The Station Forman Kobus Van Wyk, told me that the triagle was originally used to turn bank engines until the Class 25C ttook over. My firts Trip I remeber anything was in 1958 on my way to Port Shepstone in natal. Unfortunately we were travelling overniogt so I did not see anything. Can anyone confirm this use palease.
Christopher King

Re: Turning Triangle Leeu Gamka

Post by Christopher King »

More Information. The %E was actually a 5 E. It seems that the driver wa nted the same cab on the return trip as it was less draughty!

I was using Google Earth street view and looked at the triangle and I was reminded that there are actually 2 track that are on the triangle. This can be seen from Google Street view

Return to “Railway Operations - ask a question about how railways work..”