Dennis Moore's Books

News on new books - local and international. News and reviews on magazines as well!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Dennis Moore's Books

Post by John Ashworth »

Dennis wrote:Hello everybody,

A long time since you last heard from me, but a lot has been happening, as you will read.

(A) DISCOUNTS
First and foremost, may I please draw your attention to pricing. As many of you may be aware, print on demand books are unavoidably a little on the expensive side, but one does not have to necessarily pay the catalogue price. If you are buying a book / books, simply google Blurb Coupon Code , and you will find many sources of discounts available, which code you simply enter towards the end of the checkout process. These coupon codes are common practice in internet mail order and can be a little tricky and irritating, but it is worth persevering. Discounts of up to 25% and even 30% are often available, especially (but not solely) for first time buyers.

(B) TO SEE ALL OF MY BOOKS (now twenty-eight titles) , please go to www.blurb.com/user/store/red3450 As always, full previews are available. Many readers of this e mail simply enjoy this facility, and that's fine by me because some of them end up buying physical books after such a perusal.

(C) NEW BOOKS (See cover pictures attached above). All available in softback, hardcover with dustjacket, or hardcover 'image wrap', except [22] not available in softcover.

For those with a thing for South African narrow gauge steam in general and the amazing SANDSTONE ESTATES RAILWAY in particular, then this e mail is right up your street.

[22] THE SANDSTONE ESTATES RAILWAY - A PHOTOGRAPHIC TRIBUTE Omnibus Edition . All three parts (this will become clearer as you read on) , a coffee table creaking 318 page tome, available in very large landscape format (33cm x 28cm) as well as standard landscape format (25cm x 20cm) . They are identical in content, but the standard landscape size [still a chunky book] is only about 63% the cost of the other.
These two versions have separate entries in the catalogue, please make sure you select the correct one. This thick book is priced from $107 , depending on format and cover type chosen by the purchaser.
The direct links are www.blurb.com/b/5503555 (very large landscape version) and www.blurb.com/b/5507846 (standard landscape version)

For those who prefer it (or who have weaker coffee tables) , this content is also available in three separate volumes, one part to each. All are carefully designed to be fully "stand-alone" books in their own right.
Thus we have :
[23] THE SANDSTONE ESTATES RAILWAY - PART ONE : FIRST JOURNEY 110 pages . The direct link is : www.blurb.com/b/5504365
[24] THE SANDSTONE ESTATES RAILWAY - PART TWO : RETURN TICKET 110 pages . The direct link is : www.blurb.com/b/5505664
[25] THE SANDSTONE ESTATES RAILWAY - PART ONE : FINAL DEPARTURE 110 pages . The direct link is : www.blurb.com/b/5506318

Each volume priced from $48 depending on cover type selected by the purchaser. All of the above books feature a map, summarised technical information, and informative captions, often expanded in an anecdotal manner. All three parts are laid out in a logical geographical order. The locomotive content is confined to the larger machines (Former S.A.R. NG4, NG6, NG15, NGG11, NGG13, NGG16, and the four larger classes of industrial locomotives). It should just be mentioned that the content of the first "Sandstone Estates Railway" book, published in 2011 and now deleted, is incorporated in part one of this new series, but there is also much additional material as well. Parts Two and Three are totally new.

Also just published is :
[27] SANDSTONE ESTATES / THE SANDSTONE HERITAGE TRUST : A SECOND PICTORIAL SOUVENIR. 166 pages , in 18cm x 18cm format. The direct link is : www.blurb.com/b/5506496
This is a gentle decade long photographic ramble around Sandstone Estates. Priced from $48. It features a map and a brief introduction, but otherwise the pictures speak for themselves. As well as the larger locomotives that feature in the other 'Sandstone' books, full attention is also given to the smaller steam locomotives in the Sandstone collection. But, that's not all ................ the other aspects of the Sandstone Heritage Trust are not forgotten, and sample coverage of such things as traction engines, a steamroller, a World War II tank, a BSA railcar, portable engines, a Sentinel steam lorry and other artifacts are also included. The cover doesn't even feature a railway subject, but a traction engine at work. Even the celebrated Sandstone Afrikaner oxen get a look in. Not for the diehard SAR steam enthusiast maybe [see 22, or 23-5 for that] , but for those with more cosmopolitan tastes or who just want a simple pictorial souvenir, this may fit the bill . ( Please note that the companion volume ...."A (first) pictorial souvenir" [27] is also still available. )

Something completely different ......... but also narrow gauge >>>>>>>

[28] ONE DAY ON THE ISLE OF MAN a slim and modestly priced 36 page standard landscape format book. The direct link is : www.blurb.com/b/5503265
A nostalgic look back to 1977 when the Douglas - Port Erin line was still privately owned. Also included are the Manx Electric Railway, the Snaeffel Mountain Railway, and a glimpse of the Douglas horse tramway. Priced from $27.

(D) OTHER MATTERS
Finally , and with reference to the book I announced in my last newsletter, quite some time back now. This was [21] BRITISH INDUSTRIAL STEAM IN THE 1970s. Direct link : www.blurb.com/b/5346972
Given the nature of the subject matter and the prevailing circumstances, this could never feature spectacular photography, but the subjects featured were varied and full of interest ( I hoped). This book also had far more text , anecdotal information etc than usually feature in my books (although all my titles are comprehensive in this respect). I have therefore been gratified by the positive feedback I have received on this book, particularly an e mail received from Mr RH of Sheffield, extract quoted with permission. He wrote " After the end of BR steam, I somehow missed out on industrial steam, given the pressures of work and family responsibilities and so on. I was aware of the remaining steam industrial operations, of course, but couldn't experience them first hand. Whilst I have several photographic albums by other Authors on this topic, they all consist of pictures and the briefest of captions. However, your book, apart from being predominantly in colour, was really special. The introduction, the general remarks prefacing each section, the maps , the drawings and above all the expanded captions really made the book for me. It felt as though I had been there myself, and this has thus gone a long way to filling what was always a void in my younger years. I thank you very much ..............." Well, it's feedback like that that makes this all worthwhile.

Well, that's about it for this mailing. A reminder about the discounts available ( vide my opening comments ). Also , the full catalogue is here >>>>>>>>>> www.blurb.com/user/store/red3450

With best wishes and I hope you find something of interest here. Please e mail me if you have any queries, or phone me. PLEASE, forward this e mail to anyone you think may be interested, and if they wish to be placed on the mailing list, they only have to let me know.

Regards

Dennis

Dennis Moore, PO Box 2268, Wilro Park, South Africa Telephone +27 44 11 764 5425 ( Within South Africa 011 764 5425 )

P.S. Delivery costs are often a bit hefty (relatively) for one of the smaller books, so please consider buying all titles you may be interested in (from the catalogue of 28 books) in "one go". Or, get together with like minded friends to combine an order. As always, it is not my intention to annoy anyone. If you no longer wish to receive these very occasional e mails, please e mail me with the word , and it shall be done.

Return to “Book/Magazine News”