UK: 3-year-old girl banned from miniature railway

Miniature Railway Engineering news and views!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

UK: 3-year-old girl banned from miniature railway

Post by John Ashworth »

Three-year-old girl banned from mini-model railway attraction

Thursday, September 03, 2009, 14:04
thisissouthwales.co.uk

A BAFFLED dad has labelled train enthusiasts "heavy handed" after banning his three-year- old daughter from a tourist attraction.

Kevin Plunkett took his daughter Fleur to Sketty's mini-model railway during the bank holiday weekend.

He said she got a telling off after trying to sneak under a roped off area, close to the small railway line.

However, her dad, who is the boss of a local computer firm, claims he and his daughter were dealt with in an over-the-top fashion.

He said: "As we were just about to go and pay our entrance fee, the person manning the entrance shouted in a very aggressive manner at my daughter, who had, for a few short seconds wandered under the blue rope and towards the unprotected railway line.

"His attitude, language and approach were wholly disproportionate to the circumstances.

"When I challenged him about his attitude, he continued with a tirade of abuse, taking no notice of other visitors.

"After asking the name of the president of the society so I could make a formal complaint, I was told my daughter and I had been banned.

"It's ridiculous."

Mr Plunkett, of Mayals, added that he wanted a full apology, and also wanted to know why the mini railway line was not properly fenced off in the first place.

The mini-model railway at Derwen Fawr, run by the Swansea Society of Model Engineers, has been a popular draw for families.

It is only open to the public on bank holidays.

Swansea Society of Model Engineers spokesman David Richards said the group would look into Mr Plunkett's claims.

"The safety of the public, especially children, is of the greatest importance to us," he said. The Swansea society was formed in 1937 and has provided miniature train rides for countless thousands of children and adults on our public open days at our track in Swansea."

Return to “Miniature Railway Engineering”