Hong Kong Peak Tram

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related to Asia and the Middle East! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Derek Walker

Hong Kong Peak Tram

Post by Derek Walker »

Seeing as Kevin wants to see this.. here I go.
The peak tram is a double reversibale funicular railway and is 1.4km long with a gradient of between 4 to 7 degrees rising from 28m to 396m above sea level. The haulage rope is 44mm in diameter with a breaking force of 139 tonnes. It was officially opened in may 1888, with wooden trams that had a coal fired steam boiler to run the haulage system, electrically powered haulage replacd the steam gear in 1926 and the tram carried 52 pasengers at a time. In 1948 a 62 seater was introduced to meet the increased demand from the locals and in 1989 the system was extensively overhauled with new tramcars replacing the old and able to carry 120 passengers.
Approaching the bottom level station
Approaching the bottom level station
tram1.jpg (134.13 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
Waiting to collect passengers.
Waiting to collect passengers.
tram2.jpg (109.76 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
A tram arrives roughly every 8 minutes and there are 2 using the track at any given time with a loop in place just shortly after the ground level terminal.
There are also 4 stations along the way to the top that can be used to collect and drop off passengers
Drivers view of the tram heading uphill
Drivers view of the tram heading uphill
tram3.jpg (124.86 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
Attachments
The tram almost at the peak.
The tram almost at the peak.
tram4.jpg (182.37 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Derek Walker

Re: Hong Kong Peak Tram

Post by Derek Walker »

The tram arrives at the top terminal.
The tram arrives at the top terminal.
tran5.jpg (147.85 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
This image has been rotated by 8 degrees to see the effect that the steep incline has on the view outside, its very disconcerting to travel in something that is seemingly level and everything else outside is leaning over at a crazy angle.
tram6.jpg
tram6.jpg (99.6 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
a 1948 vintage tram car on display
a 1948 vintage tram car on display
tram7.jpg (120.99 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
The view from the Peak
The view from the Peak
tram8.jpg (78.38 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
On the return journey the passengers face uphill while heading backwards down the slope.
Not quite on the rails.
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

Thanks Derek. Fantastic photos. From the photos the haulage rope, or cable, is only viable on the uphill side of the tram. Is that right? Tom
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

Tom, I expect its only viable to have the haulage machinery at the top, but I am no expert in these things and maybe there is a way to have the machinery at the bottom and run a pulley system that goes up and then down, but that could leave half of the cable permanently exposed which could lead to trouble I expect. Unfortunately there was no way to ask anybody about the internal workings of it all.
Not quite on the rails.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Very interesting - have heard about this but not seen it.

As an irrelevant aside I was close to joining the Royal Hong Kong Police in my youth - I chickened out at the last minute!
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

"viable" was a typo. I meant "visible". In the photos the double line of cable lying in the rollers is only present on the uphill side of the tram. Thanks, Tom

Return to “Asia and Middle East - Photo Gallery”