OCT: Last Run?

If your question hasn't been answered in the the "Frequently Asked Questions Forum" above, then post your query here. From time to time relevant questions (with the answers) will be moved to the FAQ Forum above.

Moderators: John Ashworth, Mike Haslam

hansieswart

OCT: Last Run?

Post by hansieswart »

I went to George yesterday to ride the OCT on its last(?) trip to Mossel Bay. I took some photo's to document this event, but can't figure out how to post them. Apparently the file sizes are too big. How does one decrease this size and upload them?

Hansie Swart
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: OCT: Last Run?

Post by John Ashworth »

Hansie, I'm not an expert on this type of thing and maybe others will chip in.

You'll need some software to reduce the photo sizes. One of the simplest is Microsoft Office Picture Manager, which seems to be found on many computers, but I know there are other photo management tools which many people use. At the expensive end there is Adobe Photo Shop, but for those who have freed themselves from the economic tyranny of Bill Gates there is free software called GIMP which can be downloaded from the internet and which is as powerful as Photo Shop.

When posting pictures make sure you are posting into the Photo Gallery section. Most of our normal discussion sections of the forum are set so that pictures can't be posted to them. This is so that users with slow internet connections can follow the discussions without having to wait ages for pictures to load.

I hope you can reduce your picture size and post them to the forum - we look forward to seeing them.
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

There is a pretty good image tool called "irfanview" (and its freeware) http://www.irfanview.com/ which does quite a lot that the high end ones do. Personally I love Paint Shop Pro 5 for quick work, and PSP10 for slow work. I also have Adobe Photo Elements which is great, assuming you ever figure out how to use it properly. Google also has an image program called Picasa which may be shareware. http://picasa.google.com/
Many digital cameras and scanners have software on their CD's that can do image manipulation too.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
hansieswart

Post by hansieswart »

Thank you, John and Derek. It seems that I have managed to get one photo's file size down from the original 2,89MB to 612 KB.

Is this within the "posting Limit"? and if so, should I simply use the "Add the file" button on the Forum's post page to do it?

Would it be OK to try one photo out on this section of the forum before I attempt to do it on the "Main Board?

Hansie
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Hansie, 612 KB is still way above our posting limit of 130 KB. The forum won't actually stop you posting it, but if everybody posts pictures that size then our data storage will be 4 times higher than if we stick to the limits.

By all means do a test post in the test post area where you originally posted this (but I moved it to the "Forum help" section as I thought it would be of help to others too).

To post a picture, click "Browse" in the attachment section and select the picture you want. If you are only posting one picture, just click "Submit". If you are posting more than one picture, click "Add the file" after each picture up to and including the penultimate one, and then "Submit" after the last one only. Don't use "Add the file" unless you are posting more than one picture in the same post.

I know it sounds complicated but it's really easy once you get used to it!
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

Part of the file size issue is resolved when you stick to the 800x600 image size, I usually size down to 750x whatever the proportion of the image is, and that keeps me within the 130K limitation anyway.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops

Return to “FOTR Forum Help”