Max size of photos

If your question hasn't been answered in the the "Frequently Asked Questions Forum" above, then post your query here. From time to time relevant questions (with the answers) will be moved to the FAQ Forum above.

Moderators: John Ashworth, Mike Haslam

Aidan McCarthy

Max size of photos

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi,

Would it be possible to increase the max size for posting photos to 1024 x 768 ? Some of the other sites I post to that is the min size, so it would be easier if I did not have to resize for FOTR forum. Ideal would be an automatic resizing of photo when posted to the forum.

Cheers

Aidan
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Re: Max size of photos

Post by Steve Appleton »

Hi Aidan,

I have changed the maximum size to accomodate 1024 x 768 pixel pictures in both landscape and portrait formats.

Unlike proper picture libraries, this forum does not generate nor display thumbnail images. The effect is that the full-resolution image is downloaded to each user willy-nilly each time a thread with images is accessed unless that thread has been previously cached by the local machine. Because of this, the original intention was to limit the amount of data that was being downloaded out of respect for low-bandwidth users and those who have to purchase very expensive cell-phone data bundles. Since low-bandwidth users are becoming the minority and cellular data bundle costs are decreasing, I have changed this policy.

Note that 800 x 600 px was the size that, at one time, most computer monitors displayed. Anything larger than that resulted in either scrolling or in down-sizing. Most users today have much higher resultion monitors than that, 1024 x 768 px being the minimum.

Further, limiting the maximum image size to limit the data never did make totally logical sense because amount of data contained in each image is very dependent on the level of Jpeg-compression selected by the image's poster. It is easily possible that an 800 x 600 px image at high quality far exceeds the amount of data in a 1024 x 768 px image saved at low quality. Again because the forum does no image processing, we have no control over the jpeg quality level selected by the image poster and therefore no control over the amount of data each image contains. We rely on the poster to select a reasonable amount of compression when saving and then uploading the image -- in not selecting "maximum" quality each time.

We will monitor the situation and may review this policy change if we get a large number of complaints.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi Steve,

Thanks I will test it out over the weekend with some electric pics I took last weekend.
Aidan McCarthy

Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi Steve,

The change does not seem to have worked, it says the max size is 800 X 800.
Aidan McCarthy

Return to “FOTR Forum Help”