A Smoke and Mirrors Amazing Feat

Members can post FOTR related pictures of 19D 2650 here - screenshots or photographs - 800x600 pixels. Maximum size 130k. They will be pruned after 90 days. If you want to keep
Tom Macrery

A Smoke and Mirrors Amazing Feat

Post by Tom Macrery »

Now how is this possible? Why does Cheugnette decide to change instantly from beautiful white smoke to dirty gray? And how does she accomplish this amazing feat? Answers from knowledgeable firemen please.
Attachments
Which color smoke is best?
Which color smoke is best?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: A Smoke and Mirrors Amazing Feat

Post by John Ashworth »

And how does the wind apparently push black smoke and white water vapour in different directions... unless they are separated by several thousand metres!
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

That's part of the mystery, John. The wind must have whipped up just at the critical moment; and maybe was the aggravating factor persuading Cheugnette to go into a sulk.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

...unless the black smoke is, say 4 or 5 metres above ground level and the white cloud is, say, several thousand metres...
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

As scientists, we, indeed, have to consider all possibilities. But I was standing right there, John, and Cheugnette definitely seemed to change her mood just at that abrupt smoke-changing moment.
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

We are a truly rainbow nation, and that shows in what we smoke!!
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

I have just contacted Simon Gear, SABC's senior meteoroligist, and he confirms that last Saturday was a cloudless day. Therefore we must reject John's, well-meaning, but wrong assertion.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

No offence to anyone, but do we really trust meteorologists to give us an accurate report?!
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

This is an unusual example of an American phenomenon called smoke screening.

In essence, this relates to the physical generation of hot air.

The generation of the hot air initially causes things to be obscured – hence it is somewhat murky in appearance initially.
At a higher level of life, the hot air has no effect – things therefore are less murky.

I believe this phenomenon was first noticed during the Boston tea Party, after a bail of tea caught fire when a clay pipe was knocked out on the bail. The scientific explanation was written up (in copperplate) by Tom - the pipers son incidentally, as being the pipers son he was close to the incident at the time. Tom was of Irish descent and weary at the time – his surname escapes me at the moment……..

The picture below shows the Boston Tea Party just AFTER the fire was put out.

Tom has left to write up his scientific paper, while the people remaining are waving their hats to dissipate the murky smoke - as which you can see they have been quite successfull.
Attachments
boston tea party.jpg
boston tea party.jpg (81.39 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

Indeed I tried to dissipate the smoke but, as I wear no hat, my blowing and frantic arm waving were ineffectual. Now that I reflect on the comings and goings of the day, I recall that just at that critical moment one Fireman knocked off and another clocked on and began feeding the hungry flames. If Thomas Paine were still around to witness this startling reversal of smokey fortunes, I'm sure he would declare that it is only 'Common Sense' to look for a Fireman with a penchant for smoke which actually looks like smoke. After all, why call it smoke if it looks like just a condensation cloud?

Return to “FOTR - Steam Engine 19D 2650”