Tender first (not what you think!)

Members can post FOTR related pictures of FOTR Rolling stock and coaches here - screenshots or photographs - 800x600 pixels. Maximum size 130k. They will be pruned after 90 days. If you want to keep them for later, save them to your hard drive!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Tender first (not what you think!)

Post by John Ashworth »

Nathan wrote:An unusual tender first working. The ex class 23 tender plus two vehicles
are propelled by 19D 2650, en route to their new site at Hermanstad. A
problem with the circuits at CTC made possible this direction of travel, at
a sedate 10KPH
Attachments
Photo by Nathan Berelowitz 12 April 2009
Photo by Nathan Berelowitz 12 April 2009
CapparkHercules 12 April2009 009.jpg (68.22 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
Dylan Knott

Re: Tender first (not what you think!)

Post by Dylan Knott »

Interesting. What are the rules for tender first running in general? Speed restriction? I recall us running tender first down Sir Lowry's Pass with 19D 3334 quite a few times. Does the type of tender matter?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Most locos have a speed restriction running tender first - I can't remember for sure but I think it's 35 kph.

Some locos, such as the 24 class (and 25? Again, can't remember), can run tender first faster because of their wheel arrrangement and the design of the rear bogie of the loco.

Garratts, of course, can run in either direction.

In this particular case I suspect the 10 kph was because of the state of the spare tender, which hadn't run for a long time.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Ok, all trains on the Sir Lowry's Pass line are restricted to 30km/h running normally, so tender first should not be an issue. Assume then no issues for a 4-8-2 loco and MP/MP1/MT tender operating tender first either. Facing points might be an issue, but can always slow down approaching them.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Again, let experts correct me (Nathan? Gabor?) but I think there is a speed restriction for 4-8-2 locos (such as a 19D, 15F) but not for 2-8-4 (24) or (not sure) 4-8-4 (25).

But if, as you say, the line speed is as low as 30 kph anyway, then no problem.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Good to know. Are garrats still allowed to propel their water tankers when hauling trains? Perhaps this would explain why some tankers were fitted with headlights.

Return to “FOTR Rolling Stock”