John and Jane go to Athi River (Kenya)

Members can post FOTR related pictures of members at work here - screenshots or photographs - 800x600 pixels. Maximum size 130k. They will be pruned after 90 days. If you want to keep them for later save them to your hard drive.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

John and Jane go to Athi River (Kenya)

Post by John Ashworth »

Photos from last Sunday's (03 October 2010) steam excursion from Mawenzi Gardens in Nairobi to Athi River using 3020.
Attachments
All set to go, brand new overalls, still looking rather clean and new. Photo by Jane
All set to go, brand new overalls, still looking rather clean and new. Photo by Jane
jj_IMG_3694.JPG (73.39 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
John reclines on the tender with Isaac Murage, a senior controller and diesel driver with RVR. Best seat in the house, but you can't do this on lines with overhead wires! Photo by Erik Forsman, a Swedish railway enthusiast who rode with us
John reclines on the tender with Isaac Murage, a senior controller and diesel driver with RVR. Best seat in the house, but you can't do this on lines with overhead wires! Photo by Erik Forsman, a Swedish railway enthusiast who rode with us
John sits on the tender with the Nairobi National Park in the background. We saw Thomson's gazelle, zebra, impala and hartebeest. Photo by Erik
John sits on the tender with the Nairobi National Park in the background. We saw Thomson's gazelle, zebra, impala and hartebeest. Photo by Erik
Jane (next to lamp post) waits on the platform at Athi River as the train pulls in. She came to pick me up in the Land Cruiser, which can be seen parked nearby. Photo by John
Jane (next to lamp post) waits on the platform at Athi River as the train pulls in. She came to pick me up in the Land Cruiser, which can be seen parked nearby. Photo by John
jj_IMG_3782.JPG (58.74 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
John at the end of the day looking slightly grubby but not as dirty as after a day coal-firing in South Africa! Photo by Jane
John at the end of the day looking slightly grubby but not as dirty as after a day coal-firing in South Africa! Photo by Jane
jj_IMG_3786.JPG (63.36 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Jane looking as bright as ever. Photo by John
Jane looking as bright as ever. Photo by John
jj_IMG_3787.JPG (62.5 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Re: John and Jane go to Athi River (Kenya)

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Nice pics John.

Glad you had a great time - as you obviously did!

Wish I had been there!
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

What a super trip! Jealously looking at the fantastic seat, and at the game park too.
Mind the bridge though. Just as dangerous as the wires.
What's the generator for?
Where's the coal go? What, no coal? Is that why the fireman can simply rest up atop the tender? No boiler water to manage or does the driver do that too -- to give the fireman a longer break?
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Unfortunately I wasn't firing - two old drivers share the driving and firing between them. I was just a spare hand helping to service the loco, so I was free to enjoy the ride. Since we were riding tender first we had already negotiated that particular bridge. Main danger was some very low power transmission lines which cross the track. I'll post a few pics of the actual train soon, but I'm travelling on business at the moment and let me assure you that internet connection in US hotels is worse than in southern Sudan!
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

You see, Stefan, CLEAN-burning oil! John, can't you maybe put a picture on the forum of the loco working hard and only showing a slight trace of light-gray smoke? Just to show the South-Africans that oil-burners need not be filthy-black spoorie-style rubbish.
Luca Lategan...

Return to “FOTR People”